Still seeing sparkles

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
We have our follow up with the neurologist tomorrow for my 6 year old. So far, the medicine is working, except for seeing sparkles. She has only seen them at night so far, she says they are tiny black dots that turn white, and repeat over and over again. But it only happens at night before bed. She isn't getting up to come tell us, or anything like that that would make me think she was stalling at bed time.

She has been on the meds for about a week, and is up to two doses a day. She hasn't had any of the "big" episodes, with her numbness, dizziness, bad pictures, any of that. Normally she has these episodes everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, so the fact she hasn't had any, makes me happy. We have also noticed an improvement with her memory, which I wasn't expecting.

I am wondering if the sparkles are just migraines without the pain. But it seems weird she only gets them at night.

We have our follow up with the Dr tomorrow. During this time he was getting the EEGs and MRI records. I am wondering if he might catch something they missed, or if it is just to be thorough. It should be an interesting appt, for sure!

I have those! When i sneeze or I have a head ache. They start out black and turn into this transparent whitish rainbows. When i close my eyes, i see little white dots flying by.

I don't even know what they are called.

I know when you see that stuff when you sneeze, cough hard, stand up too fast, etc, is totally normal. But I am not sure about the other stuff.

"Flashes

When the vitreous gel inside your eye rubs or pulls on the retina, you may see what look like flashing lights or lightning streaks. You may have experienced this same sensation if you have ever been hit in the eye and seen "stars".

The flashes of light can appear off and on for several weeks or months. As we grow older, it is more common to experience flashes. If you notice the sudden appearance of light flashes, you should visit your ophthalmologist immediately because it could mean that the retina has been torn. " -U-M Kellogg Eye Center.

Don't know if this helps or not... :/

We had her checked with her eye Dr, but he said it wasn't flashers, floaters, or any of those things.

hmm, then I have no clue. Keep us updated if you do find anything :)

if you dont mind me asking, what meds is she taking?? my daughter has been on keppra & she gets miagrains from it, she doesnt quite know how to explain what she experiences, as her learning has been stunted etc!!! i know she sees things tho as she gets a really scared look on her face or sometimes a really big smile... she is 8yrs old

I see flashes of lights in the far corners of my eye, my eye dr said normal for me because I have glaucoma. I am now seeing little pin points of lights that zip like stars/comets and the neurologist says its a painless migrain. I see them during the day, at night. I dont know what triggers them, but most of the time, Im just sitting doing nothing, like whipping my head or bending over etc. If you learn more, please share, I'd like to teach my neurologist a thing or two!

hmm, Mary, I don't have neurological seizures. Mine are due to my neck. But Sometimes, When I turn my neck just right I see the little stars too. I got them to day actually. I was laughing and I snapped my head back with out thinkg (SO STUPID!) and when I came back up all I could see where litle pin point comets in my vision. >__< I'll have to look up the links between my neck and my head a bit more.

But I'll tell you what I find!

BUT my mom says that its usually from the start of a migraine or a sort of "mini aura" if you will. She used to work in the medical field as a nurse tech. so she must have learned it somewhere.

if you dont mind me asking, what meds is she taking?? my daughter has been on keppra & she gets miagrains from it, she doesnt quite know how to explain what she experiences, as her learning has been stunted etc!!! i know she sees things tho as she gets a really scared look on her face or sometimes a really big smile... she is 8yrs old
She is on Depokote(spelling?) Sprinkles.

hmm, Mary, I don't have neurological seizures. Mine are due to my neck. But Sometimes, When I turn my neck just right I see the little stars too. I got them to day actually. I was laughing and I snapped my head back with out thinkg (SO STUPID!) and when I came back up all I could see where litle pin point comets in my vision. >__< I'll have to look up the links between my neck and my head a bit more.

But I'll tell you what I find!
I have heard of a certain vertigo that strikes with the neck at specific angles, and can have the visual issues.

I see flashes of lights in the far corners of my eye, my eye dr said normal for me because I have glaucoma. I am now seeing little pin points of lights that zip like stars/comets and the neurologist says its a painless migrain. I see them during the day, at night. I dont know what triggers them, but most of the time, Im just sitting doing nothing, like whipping my head or bending over etc. If you learn more, please share, I'd like to teach my neurologist a thing or two!
The neurologist upped my daughters dose to 3 pills a day, and after a few days of the increased dose, the sparkles have stopped. I am assuming that he, most likely accurately, figured it was her visual aura issues still coming through.

Depakote sprinkles. I've taken that, at the very beginning. Hope it helps. glad her sparkles have stopped. Mine are probably my aura's too, since it seems a lot of other stuff is still slipping through too.

Back
Top Bottom