Stress?!??!!? I’m a pretty relaxed guy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heavy Kevy

Stalwart
Reaction score
Late at night, recovering from a day of sleep after seizure. 🤦‍♂️
I think stress is causing them. Had a benign tumor removed about 11 years ago.
I’ve got it pretty good. Cool kids, loving wife (but still a wife) great family and friends.
I’m a laid back guy. Love music, Grateful Dead gets me going. Life long nicotine habit unfortunately , always loved weed. I did stop drinking! Feel like I’m walking on eggshells at home. Especially now with everyone home and the holidays.
Had an MRI Wednesday after a seizure Tuesday. Meeting with the Dr tomorrow.
Its a fine line between keeping everyone happy who are taking care of me and not stressing out about it. The mania and depression are wild.

Alright got that out. Any fly fishing fans out there? Got new line for the first time in 20 years. Now I know why they should be replaced every 4 years. 🎣
Didn’t catch any trout but what a smooth cast I had going. Little weed, cool dog, and a stocked pond. Ahh the good life.

Hey HK, welcome to CWE!

Stress can trigger a seizure, but it's not usually the primary cause. (Otherwise just think how many folks would have had seizures this year!).
It could be a tiny scar on the brain from the surgery (there can be a delayed effect), or it could be something else entirely. Hopefully the MRI will show something useful and/or your docs will fill you in on the next steps.

But you should definitely feel free to check in here with any questions -- CWE members can offer a lot of support and anecdotal advice.

Cheers!
Nakamova

Thanks
Appreciate it. Scan showed no changes so that was great!
I have a med weed card and actually bought some cbd-thc gummies for my sis in-law. Shh don’t tell anyone. She hasn’t made it over so I tried some today. Had a wonderful day.
Hopefully my latest med Onfi and some gummies will give me some relief.
Even caught a brown trout on a whooly bugger. 😁
Hopefully I get a peaceful sleep tonight.
Thanks again

Hi HK,

Welcome to the forum! Nakamova is correct stress and lack of sleep are the 2 main things that can trigger seizures.
I've had epilepsy for 48 yrs. along with 2 surgeries to help reduce my seizures. I found out I was drug resistant after
my Dr. did a DNA test on me then they put me on the medical marijuana and since I've been on that my seizures are
the lowest in my life. I also have found taking vitamin B12 once a day a big help. I wish you the best of luck and May
God Bless You!

Sue

Hi HK,

Welcome to the forum! Nakamova is correct stress and lack of sleep are the 2 main things that can trigger seizures.
I've had epilepsy for 48 yrs. along with 2 surgeries to help reduce my seizures. I found out I was drug resistant after
my Dr. did a DNA test on me then they put me on the medical marijuana and since I've been on that my seizures are
the lowest in my life. I also have found taking vitamin B12 once a day a big help. I wish you the best of luck and May
God Bless You!

Sue
Thanks
I’ll look into the B12. 🙏

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I do take Folate 1 mg. every day to stop anemia and with the B12 I take 1000 mcg. once a day.
What has really helped me the most is 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with mother in it.
The mother is a protein and good antibiotic. I started taking it to lose weight but within time I noticed
my seizures decreasing and come to find out it can help seizures depending on a persons body chemistry.
I saw a video on YouTube about it. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Andrew,

I forgot to tell you another thing I take once a day is Zinc 50 mg. that has also reduced my seizures.
Wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

I think of triggers as a bucket. I have a certain amount of liquid in there as a person sensitive to seizures (epileptic.) The liquid amount changes day by day, just based on the illness. Then there's the external triggers. Stress, exhaustion, lack of sleep all have a variable amount of fluid they can add to the bucket.

Two identical days in terms of stress and lack of sleep can cause the bucket to overflow one day (seizure trigger) and stay within bounds the next day. Given the variability of epilepsy on its own, it's never quite right to assume you won't trigger a seizure if you only have X amount of stress. After all, you can't measure your baseline bucket liquid. It's quite possible it's almost full already without you knowing it!

Years ago I named the family calendar on our phones. The Wheel

After another busy holiday weekend where the calendar is packed. I’m going 90 mph and feeling good. The lightning gets me.

Feeling decent after three days sleep. Got the hockey game on, but hitting record and going to bed.

The wheel is turning and you can't slow down
You can't let go and you can't hold on
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

“The Wheel” by the Grateful Dead

Hope it was a good night sleep… did the better team win the hockey game? 😊

When I go to bed watching a baseball game, one of the first things I do when I get up is check to see finale of the game 😆

Wow! It’s been a year I’ve been venting here. Thank you!
Stress is still the trigger, and I know the cause of the stress. I’m trying to put a plan in place to control it better.
I’ve got a meeting with the Neurologist this week.
I’m not sure what I’m expecting him to say. I feel like I need a psychologist more than a change to my medication.

A psychologist or a therapist quite often helps me. Some days you can handle the stress, and others you can't. It's good to talk about it, and what you're feeling and how it's affecting you - both positively and negatively.

From someone who has been seeing a therapist for years now - the most important thing you can 'learn' is that 'you are what you think'. This sounds ridiculous, but it's helped me. If I wake up saying that I'm going to have a bad day, I'm most definitely going to have a bad day. Also, how you analyze memories.

When someone asks how your vacation went (for example) - don't tell them all the bad things - focus on the good things. The more bad things you think about, the more you dwell, and that's not good! Also, if you're repeating bad memories in your brain, that's what you'll remember after time. You won't remember the warm sunshine, or the good company, or the beautiful scenery after a few years - because that's not what you've focused on.

It's not going to happen overnight, but think about your daily life. Always try to look on the bright side of things. Glass half full situation. Always try to find the good in every scenario. It might be hard some days, but definitely has helped me.

I'm not saying that you ARE focusing on the bad things, I'm just trying to give examples of what my therapist has said to me that's helped me profoundly.

M

Thanks!
I appreciate that. My friend showed me this video. He called it Henrietta Hula Hoop!

Back
Top Bottom