Strobe lights

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cupofjoe

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have a question that I am sure many of you have dealt with before. My wife was just asking about going to a Blue Man Group concert. As you probably know they have a significant light show as part of their act, including strobe lights. When I was being diagnosed they triggered me with lights during testing. My seizures are now under control with meds. I am just curious if anyone has had lights like these trigger seizures or dealt with this in the past.
Guess I am wondering if I should avoid this or not.

Thanks

I've delt with strobe lights many times and it's never bothered me, but everyone is different.

I don't know how often they use strobe lights in the concert but you could try closing your eyes if you feel something going on.

That would depend on whether you are photosensitive or not.

When they used the strobe to "trigger" you did it actually trigger a seizure?

If so you might want to be careful, if not then you probably don't have to worry.

I have been to two Blue Man shows, and you are right, there are strobes involved, however, I just kept me eyes closed when they were on. They didn't last long, and my husband told me I really didn't miss much. It is also very loud, so if noises bother you then you shouldn't go.

I'm not photosensitive; I just bloody hate strobes. No need for them whatsoever. Any time the buggers are used at any gig I'm at, I close my eyes and cover them, too. I'm told it's important to cover your eyes as well as close them if you're sensitive to strobes.

i'm generally photosensitive. but if my meds are working, strobe lights don't do anything but make me nauseus(spelling?) and uncomfortable

but i would kill to see blue man group

Hey,

I have photosensitive juvenile myoclonic epilepsy and like you I was tested with the strobe lights. I have NEVER had a seizure triggered by lights of any kind, but (and this may just be a psychological thing, fearing what I was told to fear) but they do bother me and make me nervous. I would definitely be closing and covering my eyes.

Have you considered watching some of their videos? Some of their shows can be quite visual and heavy on the strobes. (not sure about this years show) If the videos bother you then you'll be pretty sure the show will.

This video was uploaded
Feb 12, 2012 and the strobes begin at 1:48
WARNING for photosensitive

Back
Top Bottom