[Research] Study Shows Cell Phone Radiation Alters Brain Activity

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
I found this study pretty interesting.

Study Shows Cell Phone Radiation Alters Brain Activity
The video near the bottom of the page shows a PET scan.

They aren't linking the changes in brain activity to brain tumors. But it makes me wonder if it might have some kind of effect on our seizures.

I found this pretty interesting, too:

Leaders of WHO Cell Phone Research Urge Precautions in Using Cell Phones, Says Environmental Health Trust.
The authors warn that people should be careful in how they use cell phones now while additional research is carried out by WHO and others.

We can always use our cellphones on speaker phone, or with one of those physical wired ear buds. I'm not sure I trust a bluetooth earpiece in my ear (more radiation, albiet weak)

They aren't linking the changes in brain activity to brain tumors. But it makes me wonder if it might have some kind of effect on our seizures.
I always thought it more likely that cell (& possibly cordless) phones more likely effect seizures than tumors just for the fact that both neurons & phones conduct electricity yet there has been no known scientific relation between electricity & tumors.

I was just reading the article. It's interesting that it says the location of the cellphone antenna led to increased glucose production in the immediate area. Glucose plays a major role in brain function (that's why the ketogenic diet is a no-sugar, high-fat diet), so there could be a number of implications for brain health.

Earlier studies have suggested that cellphone use can disrupt sleep patterns -- another reason to be wary of cellphone usage if your brain is vulnerable.

I don't have a cellphone myself. Here's hoping I never need one...

I read the Cellphone Radiation article in the NY Times. This was from the comments section responding to the article:

I know someone who works in the cell phone industry. He recommends using wireless technology. Strongly.

I blame my chronic Lyme on my heavy cordless phone. The electromagnetic radiation from all wireless phones compromises the blood-brain barrier.

Also, my ex-husband had a brain tumor removed a few years ago, an oligodendroglioma. He spent 6 years in the Navy working on radar, and then aferwards became a heavy cell phone user. The brain tumor, consequently, WAS on the side of his head against which he'd hold his phone.

So I believe these devices are lethal. Every cell in the body uses electricity to communicate with other cells, especially in the brain, and these devices interfere with that healthy communication. It's not just cell phones though...the cell phone towers on every corner are also affecting us.

Back
Top Bottom