Stuttering

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CandyJ

New
Reaction score
My son, 7, started Keppra about two months ago. He suffers from complex partial seizures.

The transition onto the Keppra was difficult at first, causing unprecedented rage and irritability. Gratefully, with B6 and magnesium, his rage and irritability have abated.

However, my son now has a "bad" stutter. It started about two months ago (when his seizures became noticeable to the adults in his life). His stammering was rare, though, and we thought that they were actually little seizures. Now, he cannot get through a sentence (sometime even a word) without getting stuck.

Does anyone have any experience suggesting a connection between Keppra and stuttering? Seizures and stuttering?

When we asked our Neuro Nurse Practitioner (it is apparently hard to get an appointment with a neurologist!) about it, she said that "lots of kids stutter at this age" and told us that it is completely unrelated to his neurological issues.

Given the fact that we don't believe much in "coincidences" - where our son's health is concerned - I am not prepared to accept her answer.

Last edited:
CandyJ

Do not let her put you off, keep asking questions until you get answeres, I cannot answere the question asked, but somebody here will help and cheek the side effects listed for this drug. keep lucking and ask questions. Best of luck.

I don't take Keppra but Dalantin. I never stuttered in my life until symptoms epilepsy started to show. At this point, a lot of times I stay home due to the stutter. For me, it's embarrassing so I can only imagine for your son. I haven't taken keppra but haven't heard to many good things about it. As for me, I believe it's caused by the E. I'm with Fedup though, don't let the Dr.'s or nurses blow you off with some nonsense answer....be persistent. I'm thirty and not in school. Your son is seven and still going to school I'm guessing. I'd try to get it figured out during the summer months.....kids can be cruel. I hope everything works out for him and you. Sorry if I sound like a lunatic....

Hi CandyJ

Anti-seizure medicines (as well as other brain meds) can occasionally cause stuttering. I would be persistent in challenging the neurologist about this and asking about reducing the Keppra dose or trying a different med altogether.

Some studies suggest there is an excess of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the brains of those who stutter. B6 can increase dopamine in the brain, so it's also possible you may need to back off the B6 a bit.

I thought I would close the loop here on the stuttering story.
About three weeks ago, my son switched from Keppra to Trileptal.

I have two words: LIFE CHANGING.

My son's stuttering went away. His irritability went away (along with the B6, which was doing a pretty good job of keeping it in check, I should add). He is back to being -- wait for it ------- himself. Oh, and great seizure control.

For now, we sleep easy.

Thanks to everyone for help, ideas and support.

There is something to be said about a Mothers intuition. I kept pushing and am now on Dr #3 or my daughter! Great news for your son!

Back
Top Bottom