Suggestions please Clobazam.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

hopeful

New
Reaction score
My complex seizures get stuck takes a while for me to catch on they are happening then take clobazam 30mg this stops them hurrah has side effect of muscle weakness. Anyone else noticed if they are working sooner. Went out shopping (not stopping me going out you pests!!) to get a plant to cheer my room up (secretly -and myself) they started so took pills after about fifth could have been sixth seizure tell my head to take them sooner you stupid thing. Side effects came much sooner could this be due to recent increase of Tegretol (take Keppra and Lamictal too). Is there a great oracle out there please.

This is what I found from Drug
Interaction list:

clobazam (Frisium)
levetiracetam (Keppra)
lamotrigine (Lamictal)
carbamazepine (Tegretol)

Interactions between your selected drugs

Moderate Drug-Drug Interaction

carbamazepine and lamotrigine (Moderate Drug-Drug)

ADJUST DOSE: Coadministration with carbamazepine may decrease the serum concentrations of lamotrigine. The mechanism is carbamazepine induction of the hepatic glucuronidation of lamotrigine. Studies have found that carbamazepine can reduce lamotrigine serum concentrations by approximately 40%, and there have been case reports of patients who developed significantly increased lamotrigine levels and/or lamotrigine toxicity following withdrawal of carbamazepine.

MONITOR: Lamotrigine has been reported to enhance the toxicity of carbamazepine by increasing the plasma concentrations of the pharmacologically active epoxide metabolite of carbamazepine, although data are conflicting. In one report, mean serum carbamazepine-10,11-epoxide concentration increased by 45% and the carbamazepine-10,11-epoxide to carbamazepine ratio increased by 19% in nine patients following the introduction of lamotrigine. Four of the patients also experienced symptoms of clinical toxicity during the combination. Other investigators have failed to find evidence of a pharmacokinetic interaction in either children or adults. However, toxicity has occurred in the absence of significant alterations in carbamazepine or carbamazepine-10,11-epoxide pharmacokinetics, suggesting the possibility of a pharmacodynamic interaction. One study found that toxicity is more likely to occur if the initial carbamazepine level is high (above 8 mg/L in study patients) upon lamotrigine introduction.

MANAGEMENT: When lamotrigine is added to existing therapy containing carbamazepine without valproate, the initial dosage of lamotrigine should be 0.6 mg/kg/day in two divided doses (2 to 12 years of age) or 50 mg/day (older than 12 years of age) for the first 2 weeks. The initial dosage should be doubled for the next 2 weeks, then increased by 1.2 mg/kg/day or 100 mg/day every 1 to 2 weeks as needed and as tolerated. The usual maintenance dosage is 5 to 15 mg/kg/day (up to 400 mg/day) in children up to 12 years of age and 300 to 500 mg/day (400 mg/day for the treatment of bipolar disorder) in older patients. Patients should be advised to promptly notify their physician if they experience worsening of seizure control, increased adverse effects, or signs of carbamazepine toxicity such as dizziness, drowsiness, vertigo, diplopia, nystagmus, ataxia, and nausea. A reduction in carbamazepine dosage generally will resolve the toxicity without the need to discontinue either drug. However, a reevaluation of all antiepileptic agents in the regimen should be considered prior to making any changes. If carbamazepine is discontinued, lamotrigine half-life will be prolonged and a dosage adjustment may be necessary. Prescribers should refer to the lamotrigine product labeling for complete dosing information.

Moderate Drug-Drug Interaction

clobazam and lamotrigine (Moderate Drug-Drug)
MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Minor Drug-Drug Interaction
carbamazepine and clobazam (Minor Drug-Drug)
Carbamazepine may reduce serum clobazam levels. The mechanism may be related to induction of metabolism. If these drugs must be used together, close observation for clinical and laboratory evidence of altered clobazam effect is recommended.

NOTE: This is not a medical advice, this
is only a result of what was found in Drug
Interaction Research. Only your Doctor can
make the decision and determination. I am
not a Medical Doctor.

Back
Top Bottom