surgery this summer

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vagellie

New
Reaction score
hey guys im gonna have a temprol lobe lebectomy this summer, just wondering my chances of success or being seizure free. i have an abnormality on the left yet i have activity on the right as well, will i still get spells if my left is taken out and if not will meds have a better chance of controling them? any feedback of post op would be great :woot:

I had a right temporal lobe ectomy to control my complex partials about 25 years ago. I had scaring on the right temporal lobe. The doctors decided that would be my best chance of controling the seizures. After monitoring the doctors found that most of my seizures were on the right but there was still activity on the left. After surgury I had tonic clonic seizures however seizures have been controled with meds. I am having of some issues now and am unable to drive. I am confident that I will get those under control and put this monor set back behind me. Biggest issue after surgery is probably short term memory loss. I have to write things down to help remember them. I never regretted the decision to have the surgery even though I have to take meds to control the seizures. I hate to think where I would be now if I had chosen not to have the surgery.

thank u

i thank u very much for the info my friend, i also have tonic clonic and general seizures. all the doctors are saying this is a good decision for be because i was on meds since 4 years old and got no results. but i,m gonna ride it through i hope that it all goes well for me and fore you in the future. after all more and more treatment keep coming out for people like us i believe at some point they will be able to stop them 100%. htanks again for your time and any time u wanna talk feel free .

Your welcome. I'm just glad that I can use my expierence to help you. Keep me posted on your journey. I'm sure everybody in this fourm is behind you 100 percent. I just wish they had something like this 25 years ago.

Hi Vagellie,

I think the best person to tell you what the chances are that you won't have any seizures after surgery would be the epitiologist or neurosurgeon.
You say that you are having surgery in the Summer, have you been given a date yet?

Most of my seizure activity was from scarring on my left front temporal lobe. I had a left front temporal laboctomy in March last year. Before my surgery I was given an 80% chance that the surgery would help control my seizures but was told that the surgery was another treatment & not a cure.
I am just over 12 months seizure free & now aiming to go 2 years seizure free :).
Last Monday I had my 12 month follow up appt with the Neurologist/ Neuropsych & I got good report. I am currently on 2 medications but last week the Neurologist started to reduce one of my meds (Tegretol) . Eventually if I continue to go well I should only be on just 1 medication but a lower dose.

Good luck with the surgery.

Last edited:
i ty for the reply, my date has not been set yet, theyed like to do it late summer but want to do a wata test and an mri , i havent had those done since i was 19 years old. i have an abnormality on the left yet activity on both sides, they are saying to do grid and mapping to get a precise location. i'll keep u posted on this my wata is next week hope all goes well and i thank u again for the reply. best regards Angelo

Angelo,

I had right-side surgery in 2003 and have detailed my experiences here:

users.eastlink.ca/~kehoe/surgery/

Kevin

P.S. You'll have to copy and paste the link because the authorities have determined that I "haven't been around long enough to post links...".

I am currently preparing to have Left Temporal Lobe surgery later this year (Aug/Sept). I have one test left (the MEG). In my last V-EEG test in March they found that the majority of the activity was on the left side where my lesion is and that I had one incident that appeared to start on the right side but they couldn't be sure. I hope that this might remove my seizures all together but if not hopefully meds will remove/stop any remaining seizures.

Good luck with you surgery and let us know how it goes. BTW, where are you having your surgery? I am having mine at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL.

Paul

I had a right temporal lobectomy in 2004 in Minneapolis/St Paul. My story is that my seizures left me for ten months, but when they came back they were not as severe as prior to the surgery. It was difficult to deal with but I don't regret the surgery. Much luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom