Swimming??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mlbandura

New
Reaction score
I have some questions about how to handle summer activities, swimming to be specific. At home in the pool (or other relatives/friends pools) he always wears a life jacket and there is always an adult in the pool. He can swim but he understands why he has to wear one. We went to a water park this past past weekend and they would not let him wear his life jacket in the pool. They said it was agianst there policy and that an adult should be with him at all times anyways. Well I explained (very calmly) that he had epilepsy and that I had 2kids I am looking after and that it only takes a second and that I wanted to be sure that he was safe at all times. They denied me letting him wear one. It's not that he can't swim or that I am being lazy and not wanting to watch him. It only takes a second of me looking away at my daughter and something could happen. Are there any suggestions on how to get around this other then not taking him? I am trying my best to not pull all the fun things out of his life but with stupid rules like this it makes it hard. any suggestions would be great!

im not sure if it would make a differance but i would go to the top ! call the customer service line for that park and work your way up the chain of command until you get someone higher up in the company ... then explain it to them & ask if they can make an exception . Sometimes things are against policy and the person you deal with doesnt think an exception can be made but if you go higher in the compnay you may get a different response

I agree with ladybug that you will have to get special permission from the people at the top. Not too sure how successful you'll be especially if it's run by a large corporation, but I wish you the best of luck.
Regarding personal flotation devices (PFD), they have specially designed PFD's for the disabled that will keep the head out of the water in case of unconscious. I like to bring this up whenever the opportunity arises just to bring awareness about them.
I hope you have good luck with park management.

Jake

I have simple and complex partials. I'm not allowed to swim, even with someone with me. The reason is during a complex partial it can look like I'm conscious and swimming around but I could be inhaling water and drowning. Nothing anybody could do to stop it or help me. People (including kids) can be pretty strong during a CP, even if someone did recognize a seizure and tried to help me.

Can you always tell your son is having a CP? Does he ever act "normal," as in sitting there (but not responding), keeps on walking, etc.?

If there is a lifejacket that NEVER allows the head to go underwater, even if he tries, that might be okay.

As for that water park, I agree - talk to someone at the top. And if they are not cooperative, you have lots of options, especially if you get their answer in writing. I'd write a letter in order to get one in return. As for the other options, we'll cross that bridge if you come to it.

If there is a lifejacket that NEVER allows the head to go underwater, even if he tries, that might be okay.
Claim is there are such devices however I would never trust any PFD 100% (which I assume is why mlbandura stays in the pools with her kids) because there are so many variables with Epilepsy, different types of seizures and how different people respond to them. Water parks have different types of pools from calm water to wave pools to who knows what (haven't been to one in decades) and if someone had a seizure in a wave or more violent type of pool and their mouth was open water could still get in and the person could drown. mlbandura, I think it's great your trying to give your son as normal of life as possible but it's a shame you have to go to such lengths.

Last edited:
Swimming is scary with epilepsy, my son is recently diagnosed and I am concerned too. I have to say however it would seem to me that it is truly discrimination not to allow your son to wear a life jacket. If guiding eye dogs are allowed wherever humans go regardless of who is allergic or terrified I can't see how the law would not allow a life jacket on a child. It seems absurd to me. Good luck!

I wonder if a doctor's note on a prescription pad would be helpful to get what you need so your child could wear the flotation device.

J

I think that is disgusting...they HAVE to take in to consideration children that suffer with illnessis..do a complaint..I most certainly would!!

It violates the Americans with Disabilities act to prohibit your child from wearing a floatation device if they have a medical condition that requires it. Now, they can prohibit him from using a water slide and they may require that his floatation device be certified or one that they provide, but they cannot keep him from wearing one. I'd definitely fight this.

My 4 year old was only DX'd in March, so this is our first summer dealing with this and my son knows he is not to be in the water unless he has on a life jacket and an adult is in the water with him. I need to look into the ones that keep their head afloat though.

Hi mlbandura, I do not know what County you live in Maryland. I would check with the state laws.

I live in CA and whenever there is a drowning, the first thing they say is that the person or child was not wearing a flotation device or life jacket. They prefer it here. Everyone who goes in a boat has to wear a life jacket whether they can swim or not. The reason, what if the boat flips over?

I would find another place for your child to go swimming. One where they do not want people to drown.

In CA, they go by the American Disabilities Act. In fact they prefer little children to wear a life jacket. If a child drowns in a home pool and does not have a lifejacket on, the parents are held responsible for the death of their child.

My son and I are in the same boat as some others (we both have epilsepsy), we are not allowed to swim or take baths--only showers. I let him swim in more shallow yard pools as long as other adults besides myself are present.
We just got back from vacation and my son and I spent alot of time in the jacuzzi with my husband's supervision.

It violates the Americans with Disabilities act to prohibit your child from wearing a floatation device if they have a medical condition that requires it. Now, they can prohibit him from using a water slide and they may require that his floatation device be certified or one that they provide, but they cannot keep him from wearing one. I'd definitely fight this.
QUOTE]

As I understand the ADA applies to PUBLIC settings, not privately owned settings. From what I've been told, if an organization or business receives any Federal (and possibly State) aid, then they have to follow the ADA regulations (but even then there is an exception for public safety matters, but I think that only applies to employment). Privately run and owned businesses I believe are exempt. I'd do some checking into the ADA wording. I'm not entirely sure about this law.

(we both have epilsepsy), we are not allowed to swim or take baths--only showers.

This is one rule that has never made sense to me. I can understand the no swimming rule, but no baths, only showers-- come on now? Is that realistic? IMO, no it isn't. Accidents from seizures can/do happen in showers also. I'm living proof of that! I'm fortunate to be alive. My 1st tonic/clonic seizure happened in the shower and I suffered 1st & 2nd degree burns from hitting the hot water during the seizure.

I agree with everyone about mlbandura's son's swimming circumstance. Check with the ADA.

I think the shower VS bath debate is that its harder to drown in the shower than it is in the bath tub should you have a seizure. I think its silly too because I have on more than one occasion dropped shampoo bottles, loofas etc off the shelf while in a complex partial then when it generalizes, there is something clogging the drain and its fills up while im lying in the tub. Or my feet/head is in the way of a drain anyway.

I go swimming. I dont wear a life jacket. I dont go deeper than I can touch though because I have a fear of heights and if I cant touch I dont know how high up I am in the water. Gives me the willies and then I freeze, panic and sink. I usually have someone with me if im at the lake or beach, but I have swam alone at the pool in our building.

This DOES violate the ADA.

I got this information on this website: ADA Questions

The Americans with Disabilities Act gives civil rights protections to individuals with disabilities similar to those provided to individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, and religion. It guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in public accommodations, employment, transportation, State and local government services, and telecommunications.

Q. What are public accommodations?

A. A public accommodation is a private entity that owns, operates, leases, or leases to, a place of public accommodation. Places of public accommodation include a wide range of entities, such as restaurants, hotels, theaters, doctors' offices, pharmacies, retail stores, museums, libraries, parks, private schools, and day care centers. Private clubs and religious organizations are exempt from the ADA's title III requirements for public accommodations.

Q. Will the ADA have any effect on the eligibility criteria used by public accommodations to determine who may receive services?

A. Yes. If a criterion screens out or tends to screen out individuals with disabilities, it may only be used if necessary for the provision of the services. For instance, it would be a violation for a retail store to have a rule excluding all deaf persons from entering the premises, or for a movie theater to exclude all individuals with cerebral palsy. More subtle forms of discrimination are also prohibited. For example, requiring presentation of a driver's license as the sole acceptable means of identification for purposes of paying by check could constitute discrimination against individuals with vision impairments. This would be true if such individuals are ineligible to receive licenses and the use of an alternative means of identification is feasible.

Back
Top Bottom