switching from keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
my daughter cara has been using keppra since she was 2.she stll continues to have seizures about 1 every few months.Every time she has one they keep uping the dose.She is now on the upper end(4cc/night and 3cc day).Her last seizure was about an hour and a half ago.took 20 mins. to get to the post dictal portion of the roller coaster.The nuero dr. calls back and we gave the clonopin like usual.Time to start a new drug i guess is what he said.

History:eyes facing right, lip twitching, and limbs are limp with occasional stiff leg or so but then goes limp.Mri negative (thank god).Family history of childhood epilepsy with my older sister and Father currently on Dilantin.

Any info would be appreciated.Thanks, The new guy Cara's Father, Robert

Hi Robert, welcome to CWE!

How old is your daughter now? I feel for both of you -- finding the right dose and right med is unpleasant at any age. It's hard to know whether upping the dose is always the best response when a seizure occurs, especially when they are spaced apart by a few months. Do have a sense if there is a particular trigger for her seizures? Even with the genetic link, there might be a specific stimulus that puts her over the edge. CWE members report everything from fatigue to flashing lights to certain foods as being seizure triggers. Some members have found benefits from changing their diets and/or from neurofeedback -- perhaps that something you could consider. Feel free to search the archives (the "Nursery" is great for parents) for more info and suggestions.

Let us know what the neurologist recommends for a new med.

Best,
Nakamova

shes 4.i guess we should go to a allergist to see if its a food issue or some other environmental trigger.Thanks for the comment.oh and you have been thanked 600 times.

Back
Top Bottom