[Did Not Like] Taking Seizure Disorders to School

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Oh, I was so disappointed with this book. I had such high hopes. This book was made to be brought into school, and read to the class. My daughter is in 1st grade, which I know is on the young side for kids to understand. But I was really hoping that it would be simple enough that her teacher could read it, and at least lay the ground work.

The book started good, explaining how not everyone has epilepsy, and the brain "spark" that begins a seizure. It even made sure to mention that you can still be friends, and it isn't contagious.

Then it begins talking about auras, absence, and tonic clonic. Then jumps right to medicine/check ups, medical ID bracelets, and modifications at school that might need to be made(extra time to work).

In my opinion, there was just WAY too much info, and way too little at the same time. It seemed like the book tries to cover the most "common" types of epilepsy, but isn't able to go in to adequate detail about any of them. There is no way I would send this book in to my daughter's class. I actually ended up returning it to the site, I was so unimpressed.

If I were to send the book in to my daughter's school, I am almost positive it would be more confusing to the kids than informative. Even if I were to take out what doesn't apply to my daughter, with the idea of not overwhelming the kids, they wouldn't really come away with anything. Too much or too little info.

Do you feel it might be a good introduction to older children or would it still be too too much & too little at the same time?

Do you feel it might be a good introduction to older children or would it still be too too much & too little at the same time?
I still think there is too much and too little. It would be VERY easy to mash all the types together, or get confused about what symptoms go with what, without really knowing anything. If such a thing exists(and I am trying to see if it does!), there should be different books. As an adult, while reading on here/other sites, I know there is such a variety of seizures, something I never knew before we started this journey. Of course I know that, short of writing my own book about my daughter, there won't be a book with the exact issues my daughter has. But one page on auras, one on absence, and one on tonic clonic give enough detail to seem scary, but not enough to really inform.

Back
Top Bottom