Technology advances and public transportation

What is your favorite method of transportation

• Public transportation as it exists today

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Private transportation as it exists today

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Public transportation with greater access

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Private transportation with improved technology that automatically takes you to a destination

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Walking

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • None - N/A

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Actually none of the public transportation
is available to me, so therefore I have
to ride my bicycle. The Public Transportation
(buses), I would have to ride quite aways to
be able to get to the routes I want to go
and where it goes doesn't even take me
close as I would have to take several buses
to get there.

It's easier to just get on my bicycle and
ride 1 mile to my Primary's Office or 5
miles over to my Cardiologist / Neurologist's
Offices. (That's one way)

You can forget about the Taxi Service, it's
far too costly, and with 2008 SSDI & SSI
being a laughingstock in their raise and the
Food Stamps being cut way back to
"compensate" for the increase ... You
should read the LOUNGE section of the
Epilepsy Foundation e-Communities Forum
regarding that area. It was hard enough
just trying to survive in 2007; it's going to
be a rope around our necks in 2008 - and
not to mention the Drug List for those on
CMS - that's been cut-off (not approved).
It's going to be a very long rough and harsh
year for those with Epilepsy.

But also keep in mind ...

Not everyone with Epilepsy resides in Metro
area - tons of them resides in rural areas!
Many of them have to drive anywhere from
2-10 hours just to see their Epi / Neuro!
So any form of public transportation is totally
out of the question. And some do not just
have any public transportation available
at all or some have very limited transportation
availability.

So the option of N/A or None - to select
is missing.

Sorry, I never posted one of those surveys before. I have also found public transportation really poor. I do not live in a rural area because I do not think I could do without any independence via buses. When we were looking for houses, the salesman was insensitive enough to continually take us out to remote rural houses. I complained about him and went to another realtor. He must have been reprimanded because he continually harassed me at work for several months. I wished I would have had caller id.

I am convinced that there is no such thing as retirement for people with a disability like this. I know elderly people who are hitting that doughnut hole with Medicare Part D and they are barely making ends meet. The system has to improve.

It does appear like some people have patents out there and they are currently trying to automate driving, especially for those of us who do not drive. That would be a blessing if they ever got that technology working!

Last edited:
I live in a Metro area - go figure!
And they're cutting back everything
and the public has been complaining
for years and yet the public continue
to complain, and they're paying taxes?

Public transpo? no access, if they did make the access better, how do I pay for it? Cabs are uber expensive, and I live so far away fro anything that If I had to walk I would be dead by the time I got there.
My biggest dream is to be able to drive myself again. Sorry, I'm just a little crabby.

My dream is to see how we handle the next gasoline crisis. Our traffic jams may be a thing of the past if nobody can afford to drive their cars. We might have to.....CARPOOL! What a new concept! I hope somebody gets a grip on the poor public transportation in this country and decides to reinstate more bus and train routes. It's downright dangerous to walk along some roads. I'd walk to work if it was half safe! Within the past year, they finally picked up the pace and put together a few extra bus routes. I hope that trend continues. My parents' generation had a lot of heavy public transportation. We'll have to give up our gasoline hogging SUVs and share the roads. It will only happen when we can't access gasoline at the pumps.
My area has a county-wide transportation. The riders have to call ahead for drivers of mini-buses to come to their door and pick them up. I think some people get discounts. For people who have a normal income, it costs the same as a taxi.
I do drive, but it's both a hassle and a convenience. I find walking to be a much better stress buster. They say we should do 10,000 steps per day.

Last edited:
We need to have cars like they have in the movie, Minority Report. That would be awesome.

News recently reflected cars able to potentially go along a road without a driver behind the wheel. The vehicles may be available within 10 years.

I'd personally like to drive myself around. But two things prevent me from that desire: uncontrolled seizures & $$. :( I know that it isn't safe for me to drive, so I don't. The funny thing is that I never had any seizure activity when I drove. If I did I wouldn't have gotten my license in the first place.

As for public transportation, it's ok for now. But I would like better service, well designed buses, and new rules for the riders. The current system isn't fair to all riders. Here is a list of changes they need to make.

* Better designed buses (current buses don't have enough seats)

* More buses for main bus routes (weekends can be a real pain with buses running every hour)

* More routes (some prime locations can only be reached by taking several buses, then walking)

* Having the wheel chair bound riders use the special buses (this is to help to keep the buses running on time, and to prevent accidents)

* All baby carriages must be folded before they are brought onto the buses. (If they can't be folded then they can't come on the bus)

* No loud radios or loud talking (We don't need to hear your music or conversation)

* No talking on cellphones (You are not so important, we don't need to hear your music or conversation)

* No swearing

Some of those may seem harsh, but a really needed. I've been riding buses for over 20 years. The things I've seen would turn you green with disgust. People are so ignorant at times, it makes me want to leave society for the country.

Taxi service isn't to bad, you just need to know which Taxi company to call. As for trains & subways, I've never been on either yet.

If I could do it without the risk of being run over, I'd ride a bike most places. But not you typical mountain bike or 10-speed. I'd ride a tad-pole recumbent trike. That type of bike would be much better for me.

I totally forgot to list teleporting like the crewmen did on Star Trek. That show had some futuristic devices on it that we use today. I could set a destination, a GPS device I'm wearing would communicate with another device for an available location near my destination, and poof- I'd get sent there in an instant.

StarTrek also reflected one of the best role models for diversity, technical and medical advances. The scientific part was always fascinating, but it still reflected great people skills.

That would be a novel thing, get us around to wherever we wanted to go and cut down on fuel emissions. But, we'd need some form of energy to operate this and maybe we could teleport several people at once.

Live long and prosper! Beam me up Scottie! LOL

Caution, the following link has some flashing.

Last edited:
I didn't think of this one either:

Horseback riding!

Obviously, it's not safe around highways, but if somebody lives in a remote area, maybe they can invest in, maintain or own a horse. In my area, they have a therapeutic association for people with various disabilities involving various types of animals. They use horses for people who have limited mobility. I may volunteer for this one. I love animals, but I know little about horses. It sounds like a fun thing to do on the side.

I saw a recent association's film where they either strap people on the saddle or hold him/her on the horse as a precaution. They claim it helps people with ADD, ADHD, autism, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy...etc.

I may volunteer simply to be around the various dogs, bunnies, deer, horses, cats and other animals. I have NO knowledge about horses, but I'm willing to learn this stuff. I know how to feed them. That's kind of easy.

Any other ideas?!

Last edited:
After my city won... uh, I mean stole, the 2002 winter olympics, they built a light rail system here that runs up and down along the salt lake valley and to the university of utah, as well as a couple of hospitals. Its actually pretty decent, I ride it all the time. Everyone just kinda keeps to themself when they ride it. My only complaint is your allowed to bring bikes on it and they just get in the way. Another cool thing is they are expanding it that can take you to most of the surrounding cities and the airport. I still wish I could drive though.

Where I live there is no transportation except buses and it is better of to walk. Where the bus stops are located it too far. My parents are my transportation to work.

Where I live people use public transportation. It's getting to expensive to drive. I use the busses mostly.

I'm able take public transportation to most places.
I live in a metro county of a large city.
I prefer the subway but I'll take the bus.
I can get to most places I need to go and all my Dr,appts.
:woot:

I've had a few sz's on the bus and the subwayand of course they want to call an ambulance.

Belinda:e::ponder:

Well, they are finally coming up with cars that have a robotic device in them which helps a person 'drive' a car. It reads the person's fatigue level or stress level based upon body language and facial expressions.

Check it out!

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9120740

Stanford professor says lagging innovation could be 'demise' of domestic carmakers
By Sharon Gaudin
November 18, 2008 (Computerworld) For the struggling U.S. auto industry to survive over the long term, Detroit must take back its technology leadership role and start developing self-driving cars, according to a Stanford University researcher.

Sebastian Thrun, a professor of computer science and director of the artificial intelligence laboratory at Stanford, told Computerworld that technology is revolutionizing what automobiles can do. He added that the U.S. lags behind Europe, Japan and South Korea when it comes to finding ways to use robotics to make cars safer, more energy-efficient and easier to use.

For example, Tokyo-based Nissan Motor Co. last fall showed off technology it calls the Robot Agent at the Tokyo Motor Show. Robot Agent, which sits in the dashboard of the company's Pivo 2 concept car, uses built-in cameras to read the driver's facial cues to pick up on whether he's getting tired or stressed out. The robot, speaking in English or Japanese, will nod, shake its head and even blink while it talks the driver out of a bad mood or suggests that he pull over and take a break.

On the home front, MIT researchers unveiled plans for a vehicle called the City Car, a foldable, stackable two-seater. The frame of the City Car is designed to fold in half, so the vehicles can be stacked up eight deep in one urban parking space.

"I think the U.S., as a nation, has to push these technologies harder than anybody else," said Thrun in a phone interview following his keynote address today at the RoboDevelopment Conference in Santa Clara, Calif. "For me, the American spirit is one of innovation, and I don't see this that right now coming out of Detroit. This nation should take this moment to think about why we are not the leader in automotive technology. We clearly are not."

Thrun's observations come as Congress grapples with the question of whether to bail out the ailing U.S. automakers. The country's largest car manufacturer, General Motors, is struggling just to survive a historically bad automobile market. And officials from Ford Motor Co., General Motors, Chrysler and the United Automobile Workers union are testifying before Congress today and tomorrow to explain the state of affairs in Detroit and why they need for a bailout.

Thrun said that while refocusing on technology today will not pull the U.S. auto industry out of its current financial trouble, car company engineers must immediately start looking closely at how they can better use technology, and specifically robotics.

"I think working on advanced technology like autonomous cars is the only way out for the automotive industry," said Thrun. "We have to be forward-looking. We need to make transportation more efficient. There's a good chance it will be the demise of the industry if we don't."

Robotic gadgets that assist drivers as they park, help them avoid rear-ending other vehicles and keep sleepy drivers alert are part of the evolution, he added.

Automakers need to change the way they think about the vehicles they're building, said Thrun. Enough, he says, with the giant, heavy SUVs. Figure out how robotics and other technologies can change the vehicles we're using.

Thrun pointed out that 42,000 people in the U.S. alone are killed in car accidents every year, even though 30% of an average car's weight is safety equipment. Therefore, he said, cars would be safer and use less fuel if we could build vehicles that didn't rear-end other cars, didn't weave from lane to lane on the highway, or even could drive themselves.

"We can make cars drive themselves," said Thrun. "Look at what causes accidents -- distractions. They're on the phone or looking in the glove box. We could build cars that don't veer out of their lane on the highway. That right there would cut down on 10% of accidents. You know, human pilots are only allowed to land the planes themselves during good weather. Autopilot must be used in bad weather. With robotics, we could make cars much, much safer."

After last year's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Urban Challenge, a 60-mile race involving self-guided vehicles that were judged on both the time it took to travel the course and how well they performed, one team leader told Computerworld that aging baby boomers may be using self-guided vehicles when they get too old to get behind the wheel themselves.

Chris Urmson, director of technology for Carnegie Mellon University's Tartan Racing team, said in an earlier interview that he wouldn't let the team's autonomous vehicle drive his wife and children around city streets just yet. But he added that he thinks we're only 10 to 20 years away from having driverless cars motoring around the roadways.

Thrun, who talks to auto company officials about how they can better use robotics, said he hopes self-driving vehicles are on the road in less than a decade. He added that the first autonomous cars won't be driving us home from restaurants at first, but they may be able to take over the controls on the highway.

Last edited:
My city has a great suburban rail system. Very crowded , but hey ,gets you from A to B. It can take you from churchgate to borivili (35 miles) in one hour for 8 bucks (50 cents).It's part of the reason why i don't feel the pich of not driving , the other part being the murderous traffic. But when i was in a rural area with lousy mass transit , it was PAINFUL to travel anywhere.

Wow. That's incredible. We used to have mass transportation like that in the 1940s. I researched mass transportation in my vicinity. We drastically cut down on our bus transportation. I can get to work and back home, but I have only one shot at getting to work. Coming home is much easier.

I suggest that anybody who needs an improvement in mass transportation write to their transit company. People running the bus schedules may use feedback and change their routes.

That article mentioned foldable two seat cars. Frankly, I'd never go down a highway in one, especially with big trucks. And, if 8 can be stacked in one spot, how heavy are they? I'm a wimp. I could probably not lift one of them.

Back
Top Bottom