Tegretol and Antidepressants

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hand of Blood

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey

I know its problably be asked millions of times but does anyone know name of Antidepressants that can be taken with tegretol?

I have major depression and anger issues... its getting kinda out of control last time i went to docs its took them months to work out which meds to take... i went off them after a year i hated it but it kinda helped with the anger
i was on citalopram at the time and coming off them was a nightmare!

Hi Hand of Blood,

My Epileptologist told me never to take antidepressants because it will just reverse what the seizure meds do for me. You may want to try taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg. once a day to see if that helps. I know it has helped me keep calm and it also has helped me with my seizures. Everyone is different when it comes to meds and seizures. You may want to ask your pharmacist I have found they know much more about meds and how they interact with other perscriptions. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hey HOB --

The older tricyclic anti-depressants were considered problematic for people with epilepsy, but many of the newer ones (SSRIs) are considered to be relatively safe as long as they are used with supervision. As Sue says, everyone is different when it comes to meds and seizures. Your best bet is to talk to your neuro AND your therapist and make sure they are both on board.

Three antidepressants-- Fluoxetine, bupropion (Wellbutrin) and venlafaxine (Effexor) -- have a moderate interaction with Tegretol, which means that there is a greater risk of side effects, so you should avoid those.

Good luck!

Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the same with Tegretol, but I take Keppra for seizures and Lexapro (escitalopram) for depression, and am doing very well with the combination. In my case, my neuro said Lexapro was the only antidepressant he felt comfortable prescribing, knowing that I'm also on an AED. I wish you the best!

i took 5mg of lexapro without any issues. But 5mg is the lowest dose you can take, so its a bit different.

I was prescribed escitalopram, 5mgs, for my anxiety again a few month's back, I had been on it about 15yrs ago so we decided to try again, it was cleared with my neurologist too, and so far, everything's good.

Again, everyone's different, so I'd chat with your neurologist and therapist too!

Hey I ordered these tabs vitamin b12 hoping it will help a bit rather than having to take the bad meds hehe. Do you know if they help with tiredness?

Hi HOB,

The vitamin B12 never stopped me from feeling tired. I just had to get plenty of sleep or it would trigger seizures for me. My family Dr. put me on Folic Acid 1 mg. a day and that was because they found out I was anemic a few yrs. ago thanks to the seizure med.
I know that seizure med can make some people tired until their body gets used to it or if you are having seizures in your sleep that can make you tired when you wake up in the morning. I felt that way and I had my sleep study done along with an e.e.g. and that's when my Dr. found out I was having seizures 1-2 hrs. before I would wake up in the morning. If you notice this get a sleep study done. a.s.a.p. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Do you know if they help with tiredness?
The B12 might help with your tiredness if it's related to anemia caused by a B12 deficiency. But if your fatigue is caused by something else, then the B12 probably won't fix it.

Ahhh just sick of being sleepy been like it for years it's kinda like how u feel when u wake at 3am :(

Back
Top Bottom