temporal lobe surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Very cool frightening too. That is my fear for returning seizures. That the brain will learn how to seize again even though the focus has been removed, Thats why I have tried to stay away from all my old triggers.

P.S. I tried to post this today as a new thread in Spebers Auditorium but didn't have access. I've sent it to him but It may fit here also. The brain never ceases to amaze me.

[ame="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6136503n&tag=related;photovideo"]Melody Gardot's Pain & Triumphs - CBS News Video[/ame]

Failed brain surgery....

Long-term outcome of failed surgery:

Neurosurgery. 2007 May;60(5):873-80;

Long-term seizure outcome in reoperation after failure of epilepsy surgery

Gonzalez-Martinez JA, Srikijvilaikul T, Nair D, Bingaman WE.

OBJECTIVE: Treatment of patients who fail epilepsy surgery is problematic. Selected patients may be candidates for further surgery, potentially leading to a significant decrease in the frequency and severity of seizures. We present our long-term outcome series of highly investigated patients who failed resective epilepsy surgery and subsequently underwent reoperative resective procedures. METHODS: We performed a retrospective consecutive analysis of patients who underwent reoperative procedures because of medically intractable epilepsy at our institution from 1990 to 2001. Seventy patients underwent reoperative epilepsy surgery, with 57 patients having a minimum follow-up period of 2 years. We assessed the relationship between seizure outcome and categorical variables using chi2 and Fisher's exact tests, and the relationship between outcome and continuous variables using a Wilcoxon rank-sum test. Statistical significance was set at a P value of 0.05. RESULTS: Of the 57 patients (29 male and 28 female patients), the age of seizure onset ranged from 3 months to 39 years (mean, 10.7 +/- 10.3 yr; median, 7 yr). The mean age at reoperation was 24.7 +/- 12 years (range, 4-50 yr). The interval between first and second resection was 7 days to 16 years. The follow-up period ranged from 24 to 228 months (mean, 128 mo; mode, 132 mo). Seizure outcome was classified according to Engel's classification. Fifty-two percent of the patients had a favorable outcome (38.6% were Class I and 14.0% were Class II). Patients with tumors as their initial pathology had better outcome compared with patients with focal cortical dysplasia and mesial temporal sclerosis (P < 0.05).

CONCLUSION: Reoperation should be considered in selected patients failing epilepsy resective surgery because approximately 50% of patients may have benefit. Patients with cortical dysplasia and mesial temporal sclerosis are less likely to improve after re-operation.

Then only half may benefit from brain surgery. Im not sure why you sent this information to me. I know that brain surgery changes everything. When they remove lots of nerons and connections and make another scare from the operation. It will change your personallity and the way you feel about most everything. Experince is the best teacher, They removed twothirds of my right temprol lobe in 1998. This my life, I have no reason to lie. I never lie, I want to go to heaven. We all go somewhere in the end.

Then only half may benefit from brain surgery. Im not sure why you sent this information to me. I know that brain surgery changes everything. When they remove lots of nerons and connections and make another scare from the operation. It will change your personallity and the way you feel about most everything. Experince is the best teacher.

That is my POINT! Only half may benefit from surgery. I didn't mean this for you specifically. Not all of us had a successful brain surgery, so a 2nd brain surgery would not have been a good option. I've had experience. Just letting others know what can/does happen.

Mine wasnt successfull, it only added postical confusion to my already bad time for 45 minutes after the seizure would stop. They offered to remove part of my frontal lobe to solve this problem. I couldnt face another surgery after shunt placment. I started nerofeedback treatments instead. After six months it changed,then no seizures for five years untill they were provked by steriods. Nerofeedback was the answer for me.

Mandy,
I had two temporal lobe surgeries within a week of each other. Sadly, that didn't fix my wagon. When are you going in? Tell me about it, please.:e:

Find a center that offers nerofeedback, maybe it will fix your wagon. Ill even pray about it. Peace to you.

Right or left temporal lobe surgery........I had left temporal lobe surgery here in Ohio at the Cleveland Clinic....4 hours of surgery.......was home in 3 days......and have not had a sez since.....10years now......Dr Bingaman if you go there.the GREATEST....known world wide

It was the left hemisphere, poppie948, and I'm on track to have 10,000 seizures this September. In short, it didn't work for me.

I am truly sorry it did not help you..........what does the Dr say.......will you think of having another surgery.........if so...come up to the Cleveland Clinic here in Ohio.....and ask for Dr Bingaman....he is known worldwide.............and is the BEST

As to the surgery, hopefully not. As to what the Dr said, he was befuddeled as well as I was.

Back
Top Bottom