[Recommended] Testing Treatments

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
Amazon product

This was an excellent book that defines, and hence dispels many of the myths about how various medical treatments are researched, tested, licensed & regulated. It also discussed the flaws & what possible improvements can be made in each of those stages.

Given that understanding, it talks a lot about what questions to ask doctors, and how the system might not accommodate what patients need & how that can be corrected. As well, it talks about how corporations lie with statistics and what to look for when reading statistics.

The book was excellently set up in a way that would make it a great school book. At the end of each paragraph it lists the main chapter points (except the last paragraph which has an “action plan” on how to deal with medical professionals and information.) It is also well cited and cites in detail where all their information was found so that one can do more in-depth research should they wish.

The book has 4 authors, 3 of who work in the medical and research communities and 1 who works as a patient/research advocate so that even the patients point of view was represented.

I liked it because it gave me a good, systemic look as to how medical treatments start from the research to the pharmacists or doctors shelves.

What I didn’t like was that even though it showed how people (mostly companies) can lie or mislead in their studies or using loopholes in the law (which I found interesting) it didn’t spend as much time as I’d like explaining how to analyze & find those lies or loopholes though it did discuss it somewhat.

The forward is by Doctor & Psychiatrist Ben Goldacre who has the column, website and book Bad Science. For those who are interested, the Testing Treatments book is downloadable for free at http://www.jameslindlibrary.org/testing-treatments.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This site contains affiliate links for which Coping With Epilepsy Forums may be compensated.
Back
Top Bottom