The Dreaded Doc Appointment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Oh goodness, I am stressing just a wee bit tonight. I have an appt. tomorrow for an EEG. I think my last one was in 2006 and I have had a plenty of them in my life but I always get nervous anyway. I am probably nervous too due to the fact that there is a good chance I will loose my drivers license again. I just hate that!
:crying:

Oh, Mockinbird,

It's going to be okay. Here's a link to the Epilepsy Society's info on drivers licensing laws by state:

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/living/wellness/transportation/drivinglaws.cfm

I think in Alabama it says seizure free for 6 months. My state is the same. My doc said "seizure free" means altered consciousness seizure-free. Simple partials are okay. But that's him. Ask your doc.

An abnormal EEG shouldn't make a difference in your driver's license. It's the seizures that matter.

When my doc said no driving, I didn't relinquish my license to the state. It's too hard to get back! I just put it in a drawer and voluntarily didn't drive. I downgraded my car insurance so it wouldn't be so expensive. It's too hard to get back if you cancel it entirely.

When was your last complex partial, or generalized (TC) seizure? Was it recent, or more than 6 months ago?

<<<big hug>>> For the electrodes, the nervousness, and you impending very bad hair day.

Do you have to stay up all night beforehand? Those are the ones that get me.

Think positive, maybe it will be fine. Here's a tip: Start listening now to your favorite music -- all day if you can. Then listen to it tomorrow on the way to the doc's, and imagine in your head during your EEG.

Let us know how it goes.

My state says six months at the very least...I've never actually gotten my license because I'm just too nervous to...Now with my seizure last week I can't get it anyway...

And you're right EEGs suck (especially the glue, God can't they warm it up a little bit?)

Well, that wasn't too bad. Got out of the EEG with only a few scratches and some greasy hair.

Doc says generalized seizures on EEG and has added Lamictal to my current alternating dose of Dilantin 500mg odd days/600mg even days and eventually wants to reduce Dilantin. I hope that it works and will not be a repeat of what I went through back in 2006 when they tried to take me off Dilantin and swap to Topamax and Lamictal. That was just awful. Gonna give it another shot.

Replying to the above:

@Endless-she told me not to drive for 6 months but said that my license would not be taken away. My last tonic clonic was last week. First one since 2005. I was at home alone and woke up alone. First time I recall not having someone there with me but it was rather peaceful come to think of it. LOL

@Nakamova- No, they told me to carry on as usual before testing. No special instructions.

@Superman-I was 17 before I got my first drivers license. Back then, we had to give them up for a year. I think I have been without drivers lic. for about 5 years total (not at one time) of my driving life. I hate it!!

Hey mockinbird, I'm glad it went okay. I hope your doc has you tapering verrry slowly onto the Lamictal. It's a drag to go slow but worth it. I'm on it now, and it basically works fine for me.

Mockinbird,

Gotta love that greasy hair. Free hair product!

;)

Oh yes, she gave me one of those titration kits. 25mg for 2 weeks, 50mg for 2 weeks and 100mg for one. Been there before so this is not new territory for me. I just hope my hair don't fall out this time. Wouldn't mind loose some pounds though.

Back
Top Bottom