The Netherlands lost an icon today

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dutch mom

Ketogenic Smile
Reaction score
Johan Cruijff died this afternoon from lung cancer.

Holland lost it's very best and most famous soccer player and one if it's most remarkable celebrities ever.

May he rest in peace and be remembered for what he has brought the sports world.

His Cruijff foundation made soccer possible for children with disabilities and epilepsy and for children and youngsters in the poorest countries possibilities to have a soccer career.

Johan Cruijff will be missed by soccer, a fantastic player and manager.

People Willing to Help Those Who Need Help

I have never played soccer and I don't know anything about this man. I can only say that anyone who is willing to give of themselves and the things they may have, is a real HERO in my book!
You know that there are MANY people who have had experiences that they normally wouldn't have had if Johan hadn't been the MAN he was!:clap:

ACsHuman

For everyone who loves soccer / football we say / and who doesn't.

A compilation of one of the very best players ever, Johan Cruijff, the man who made football beautiful.

https://youtu.be/kIAVTd3jVe8

Kruijff, player and coach of Ajax, player in the Dutch national team, player and coach of FC Barcelona. He played 704 matches and scored 395 goals.

(And in the late seventies and early eighties he was a player in America too, at clubs in New York, LA and Washington.)

I remember reading about him when he was in the NASL (North American Soccer League, precursor to today's MLS). He was a class act.

I remember reading about him when he was in the NASL (North American Soccer League, precursor to today's MLS). He was a class act.

He was Dutch bloke played Ajax and for Holland don't think he ever played for States you all been better at football if he had

don't think he ever played for States you all been better at football if he had

Oh yes, he did have an American period in his career.

Cruijff played for New York Cosmos in 1978 for just one year (he refused a 4 million dollar contract for 3 years because he didn't feel for the commercial activities for Warner Bros for Club Owner Steve Ross.)

After this he played for the Los Angeles Aztecs for just one season in 1979, the Dutch trainer Rinus Michiels was their coach in that period. There were several other Dutch players in the LA team. Cruijff scored 2 goals within 10 minutes in his debut game against the Rochester Lancers and gave the assist for the 3-0. After this season he got the title of most valuable player from the NASL and his goal in the play offs against the the Washington Diplomats became goal of the year.

In 1980 and 1981 he played for the Washington Diplomats.

After that he returned to Holland and signed a new contract with Ajax.

His footy days must been coming to end if played in STates

I don't think so... and many others might agree.
Especially in Spain where just as many tears are being shed for his loss as in Holland.
Johan Kruijff gave the Catalans their pride back and made Barcelona great. As a player and their coach and manager.
Just today before one of Spanish footballs classic occasions, Barcelona-Real Madrid, the Spanish fans from both teams sang an impressive hymn to thank Johan for what he has meant for Spanish football. See this short video here in one of the biggest Dutch newspapers http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/37061/Johan-...kende-ode-aan-Johan-Cruijff-in-Camp-Nou.dhtml

1 Early life

2 Club career
2.1 Ajax
2.2 Barcelona
2.3 United States
2.4 Levante
2.5 Back at Ajax
2.6 Feyenoord

3 International career
3.1 1974 FIFA World Cup
3.2 After 1974

4 Style of play

5 Managerial career
5.1 Ajax
5.2 Barcelona
5.3 Proposed return to Ajax
5.4 Catalonia
5.5 Return to Ajax
5.6 Chivas de Guadalajara

6 Influence and legacy
6.1 Outspoken views
6.2 Named after Cruyff

7 After retirement and outside football

8 Personal life

9 Illness and death

10 Career statistics
10.1 Player
10.1.1 Club
10.1.2 International
10.1.3 International goals
10.1.4 Summary statistics
10.2 Managerial

11 Honours
11.1 Player
11.2 Manager
11.3 Individual
11.4 Further honours

12 Bibliography

13 Filmography

14 See also

15 References

16 External links

Last edited:
Stick with belief American footy not made it yet(socca)Ajax to my misery I was dragged to Amsterdam see them I went shopping instead then load Germans asked me where red light district was so I assumed I must looked tired haggard and a tart,so I spent rest of time eating pancakes which Dutch do really well.
I was Bobby Moores baby sitter though.use hears some intresting things on footy
Excuse spelling grammar iPad doing its own thing today

Stick with belief American footy not made it yet(socca)
Except for the women's game. World Champions!

Well women of course they going be better you treat women socca seriously gets airtime American women footy well respected.It starting to improve in uk
This been one bad start to year with all famouse people going it knock me for six DAvid Bowie his music art all what stood for was big part of my life and era dying off to quickly.i was baby sitter to footballer who played this Dutch chap Bobby Moore

They're going to rename the Amsterdam ArenA after him, a fitting tribute.

Quite interesting that he played for Ajax's big rivals Feyenoord, btw.

Back
Top Bottom