the other e..eczema!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ann T.

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can anyone please help? I've had mild but very itchy eczema for 3 yrs off & on and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a lotion that reallyworks. 1 that's not greasy or sticky. I've got a mild outbreak only on my left hand now. Thank you for your advice. ~Ann T.

My youngest son has eczema. The only thing that really helps is to avoid acidic foods (strawberries, citrus fruits, anything with citric acid) and take oatmeal baths. Walgreens carries Aveeno brand lotions and oatmeal bath and they are soothing, but the only thing that really gets the flare-ups to stop (for him) is avoiding the allergens or using a prescription steroid cream.

Hi Ann,

I've had eczema all my life (as well as the other E), and for months now I've been free of it thanks to ANOTHER recommendation on this site.

Magnesium was recommended/mentioned on one of Robin's threads, so I decided to take it - hey, if it's gonna cure/help my Epilepsy and it's an over-the-counter medicine, why not try it huh ?......the funny thing is, my eczema literally died a sudden death - as quick as that !

Even though I still continue to use a moisturiser (no laughing amongst the men please !!) on my face (where the eczema was worst on my forehead), my eczema has completely vanished.

It's gotta be worth a try I'd say

I have seen a connection to gut health, absorbtion issues, elimination of GFCF foods, in my travels around the sites. As with any disease/illness/disorder it is all unique to the individual.

I think you should consider a google search and like TT find the "root" cause, and you just might hit a winner.

TT - have you also made nutritional changes as well?

I have seen a connection to gut health, absorbtion issues, elimination of GFCF foods, in my travels around the sites. As with any disease/illness/disorder it is all unique to the individual.

I think you should consider a google search and like TT find the "root" cause, and you just might hit a winner.

TT - have you also made nutritional changes as well?

To be honest Robin, nah..none at all. I consider myself to be 'fairly' healthy in both eating and exercise anyway....I kinda find alot of junk food boring to be honest, and since being a toddler have loved 'colored' foods (such as salads). So, I keep a close monitor on my weight and nutrition anyways, but since taking the Magnesium tablets, my eczema flare-ups have completely disappeared.....considering I've been using steroid creams (yeuch - too greasy, and can thin the skin) in the past, and boring face washes such as E45 (no smell, or excitement at all) for years - I've now gone to using decent face-creams (Nivea - non-greasy), and nice smelly face washes.

That is really awesome.
Have you noticed any other positives from the magnesium?

That is really awesome.
Have you noticed any other positives from the magnesium?

Well, it's one of those tricky things....

....my relaxing periods (ie. between seizures) seem to be longer than before. Is this coincidence, or is it the Magnesium ?....I guess the only way I'd find out is to stop the Magnesium, but if it's not doing me any harm, and it's stopping the eczema at least, it's definitely worth using.

Apart from the DEFINITE eczema elimination, I can't really put any other 'brownie points' on the Magnesium (that I'm aware off).

Still, a definite :mrt: for Magnesium

Actually, my 7 yr. old brother-in-law has a horrible case of eczema....he uses a lotion that really works well. His skin goes from feeling like a basketball to smooth. We get it at Walgreens...it comes in a a blue and white rectangular bottle and has the word eczema in it's name....can't remember the name though.....

Dermarest Eczema! Thanks Tee Tee! :)

Beware, it's also sold at Walmart, but the d at Walmart didn't work nearly as well....almost as if it was another formulation....

My youngest has suffered from eczema from birth...Eucerin was the best for him. But use the lotion and not the creme..the creme is really really thick and it was painful for him.
Cutting out the acid foods (OJ, tomatos, ) also helps.
His doctor also had suggested I buy his clothes from thrift stores or it I brought new clothes ...to wash them several times before he worn them.
Also, be cautionous about changing soaps, detergents, etc...that can trigger outbreaks too

I use the Eucerin with the creme and wear cotton gloves during the day. I also wear thin rubber gloves to bed. The rubber ones keep the grease off your bedding. The dermatologist that I went to also recommended using something like NuSkin which helps the area to heal.

I've also bought skin cream that has urea in it. I have no idea why it works, but it does a great job.

The cotton gloves are hard to find at any store. I have large hands (can stretch a 10th on a piano). So, I go to a photography website for all cotton gloves or a photography section. They're used to handle photos and prevent smears on photos. The thin rubber gloves can be found at any drug store.

I know my son would sometimes get an antibodtic if an area didn't clear with the eurcirin...and it that didn't help, he would have to go on predisone....but they would try not to do predisone unless it got really bad.
Since my son had it from birth, we would cover his little hands with a pair of his socks...and I used his socks as he got older ...mainly because it kept him from scratching, but doc said after his bath to use eurcirin and then put socks on to keep the skin moist. Remember to soak your skin before you put on the lotion..it will help your skin to soak in the lotion.
You may need to see a dermotoloist to get it cleared up...I know another doctor!

Hey alivenwell! Actually, in some countries they use the first pee in the morning when they have bad acne. They take the urine and wash their faces with it. But it has to be the first pee, because it's the strongest.

Hey alivenwell! Actually, in some countries they use the first pee in the morning when they have bad acne. They take the urine and wash their faces with it. But it has to be the first pee, because it's the strongest.
Skillefer:
Hi. Hmm...I wonder if South Koreans with eczema use their first pee? ~Ann T.

As sensitive as skin is wth outbreaks, I would think using pee would be very painful!

As sensitive as skin is wth outbreaks, I would think using pee would be very painful!
JGB:
Hello. Thanks for the eczema advice. I agree: using pee would probably be painful & traces my meds would probably drive my skin crazy. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom