The Rider (film)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Pinkhorse

New
Reaction score
Has anyone seen The Rider? It's a great film and hit me right at home. It's a true account of a bronc rider who has a head injury and is unable to compete. He goes through the loss and how he can cope with being around horses. He has a very close friend who had a devastating head injury and the film goes to the protagonist's relationship with him and with his sister and father, as well as with his fellow riders. It's beautifully done (and almost all of the "actors" play themselves, which is really quite amazing.)

The reason I have epilepsy is after 5 or so head injuries falling off of horses (and once swimming into the side of the pool when I was in such a trance of swimming that I forgot to flip....) So this film hit me really hard. I actually made a distinct decision about 10 years ago to stop riding because "I can't have another head injury." But, here I am.

The protagonist's seizures are partial complex where his right hand seizes up. It's his riding hand - of course.

I don't think I've ever left a theater until all of the credits were done but I was so touched by the film and it was so close to home that I ran out of the theater and completely fell apart in the parking lot.

Of all the things I've lost over the past several years, the first was riding--when I was getting off of a horse I was training--and was ready then to be sold--and said, "This is it, I can't have any more head injuries." It was the last time I was on a horse. I still have my horse and care for her every day. But there have been so many losses over the past 2 years that I can hardly stand it some times. Riding. The death of a very very close friend. Practicing Tae Kwon Do.

I sometimes don't know who I am anymore.

OK, I'm getting morbid. It's just too many losses. I'm sure others know what I mean.

I really didn't mean to be so sorry for myself in this post!

I'd love to see this. Mean Streets is my favourite film involving epilepsy. There's a realistic seizure in there, and the gangsters talking about the epileptic girl is a perfect representation of how the world treats us.

"Your girlfriend's sick in the head."
"She has epilepsy."
"That's what I said, sick in the head."

I really want to see this movie since I both ride horses and have epilepsy. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Back
Top Bottom