Things to know about going to sleep

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Meetz1064

Fantastico
Reaction score
I recently received a handout from my doctor about sleep hygiene, and have adapted it for the members here. I thought it would be useful after a couple of comments....

Personal Habits

Set a bedtime, and a waking time, and DON’T let it change.

Avoid napping. Some people just can’t do without a nap in the late afternoon. If you are one of those, limit it to 30 to 45 minutes.

Avoid alcohol 4 to 6 hours before bedtime. While it may make you yawn at first, you start to wake up again as it wears off.

Avoid caffeine 4 to 6 hours before bedtime. Caffeine is, flat-out, a stimulant, and takes quite a while to get out of your system. Beware of coffee, sodas, teas, and even chocolate.

Be sure to exercise regularly, but not right before bed. Shoot for sometime in the afternoon for exercise—doing so 2 hours before bed even, will really lessen your ability to sleep.

Sleeping Environment—Yes, this makes a difference!!!

Use comfortable bedding. This is a given. Want good sleep? Be comfortable. Decide if this is causing your problem, and remedy if necessary.

Keep the room well-ventilated and at the proper, comfortable temperature. OK, so you’d think this is a no-brainer, but some people don’t think of this. A cool, but NOT cold bedroom is the most conducive to sleep.

Block out all distracting noise. And eliminate as much light as possible. In other words, turn off the TV, the lights, etc.

Reserve the bed for—sleep and sex. Of course!! The bed isn’t supposed to be romper room, or the office or anything. Let your body realize, and KNOW that the bed and sleeping go together.

Getting Ready For Bed

Light snacks prior to bed are good. Things that are high in an amino acid called tryptophan (remember that feeling you get from turkey at Thanksgiving?) may very well help you go to sleep. Try things like bananas and warm milk.

Practice relaxation techniques before bed. Deep breathing, yoga, and other techniques may help you get rid of stress, and therefore muscles tension, and allow you to drop off to sleep more easily.

Whatever is bugging you---don’t take it to bed. OK, that sounds easier said than done. I know one person who literally has a pinup board for their worries outside their door, and that’s where she leaves them every night, about an hour or so before she goes to bed. She sort of takes time to assign them a slot, if you will, on the board, so that deep in the recesses of her mind, she knows that she can pick them back up the next day.

Rituals before sleeping. These cannot be stressed enough. Something as simple as reading a book at the same time every night for a half hour, or meditating, or even a warm bath, will help you relax for sleep immensely. Or a combination of them all….

Know your favorite sleeping position, and get into it. Once you’re ready to go to sleep, and relaxed, and you are in that favorite position, falling asleep should be no problem at all. Whether it’s flat on your back, curled up in a ball or on your stomach, sleep should be with you soon. If you’re not asleep in a half hour, get up, go in another room, and read.

Getting up in the middle of the night. So many of us face this problem, it’s truly not funny. It’s normal to get up once, or even twice to go to the bathroom, or whatever reason—let the dog out, the teenager in… However, if you are not able to go back to sleep, as stated in the previous section, get up, and do something quiet. Go read. Or, if you want, go take a bath. But for heaven’s sake, don’t go do housework, or work in your office or watch TV. You’ll really have a hard time sleeping then.

Let’s discuss TV. While we all LOVE to watch TV, it DOES keep our mind moving quite a bit, as it is a very…engaging form of entertainment. Watching it before going to bed is usually not a wise idea. Don’t even put one in the bedroom. At the right time, the TV should be shut off, and you should go to bed. Quite often, people find that listen to the radio, or even classical or meditative CDs will help them go to sleep.

Physical factors that disturb sleep. Some of the things that would top the list would be headaches, hot flashes, menses, acid reflux (heartburn) and arthritis.

Medications and sleeplessness. There are a number of medications out on the market that can, and DO, cause sleeplessness as a side effect. Ask your doctor, AND your pharmacist about them, and what you can do to safely combat it, without ruining the effects of the medication.

Mental health/psychological problems—such as anxiety, PTSD, stress and depression are often tied to difficulty sleeping. Sometimes, the only sign of being depressed is difficulty sleeping. YOU MUST TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.

Improving sleep patterns may be done by prescription. Your doctor may decide to give you some short-term help by prescribing a sleep medication. This is done to help your medical “picture” overall, so that your body does not become too stressed out, and various organs in your body do not overwork themselves more than necessary.

Your goal is to rediscover sleep naturally. That means listening to your doctors, and healthcare professionals, so your body does not become over taxed along the way.

Last edited:
Thanks for this Meetz! I'm sure it will help a lot of people. There are a lot of tips in there I will take into account, and I'm sure many other people as well.

The sleep medication point is important. I was having a hard time months ago and I started taking Lorazepan before bed. I helped a bit, it got me back into a rhythm. Then my AED's were upped and have made me super drowsy all the time... now I'm sleeping too much... but it's better than too little.

Thanks for the info.I do take naps,that is because all of my meds cause me to be tired.30 to 45 min nap would be pointless in my case since it takes me two hours at least to fall asleep.So I guess I should stop tring to nap. It doesn't really matter if i take a nap or not I still sleep,or dont sleep, the same at night. I dont drink soda or alcohal so I'm good tthere.I'll try a bananna before bed. Since we have two kids sex has to be in the bedroom.I do have aniexty and take a med for that as well.

Thank you for all that information. I just woke up from a 2 hr nap, had hot tea and a muffin. It's midnight and I'm wide awake. I'm going to find some relaxing music and try to head to bed.

I recently went to a lecture on the exact same subject. One set of dogs was given a sufficient amount of sleep every night. The other set of dogs (same age and health) had an insufficient amount of sleep every night. Here's the clincher for dog lovers: The sleep deprived dogs died at a younger age! Sleep deprivation affects one's ability to heal, relax and maintain general health.

After I heard about the effect of sleep deprivation on dogs, I felt very guilty because my dog will not go to bed until I also go to bed. The interesting part of the lecture was how it affects various chemicals in one's body, weight loss/gain and stress. I also found it interesting to hear that we can never make up for lost sleep.

Last edited:
I was just sent this breathing technique and thought you might like to try it:

RELIEVES TIGHT FACIAL MUSCLES AND NECK AND SHOULDER TENSION

1. Hold you hand a few inches in front of your mouth. Open your mouth and exhale for as long as you can, making a hushed "haaa" sound as if you were trying to fog up a cold window. Feel the weight of your jaw as you exhale. Just like any other area of your body, your jaw has weight. Try to become aware of that weight when you open your mouth, but don't force it.

2. At the end of the exhalation slowly bring your lips together (don't clench your teeth) and notice if there is any change in your breathing.

3. Repeat this breath work for 5 - 7 minutes. Do you feel your breath filling the back and sides of the rib cage abdominal area, chest, or shoulders? You may notice some discomfort in your back or feel the need to move your body. This is because the oxygen is beginning to move muscle that have been clenched: until it gets into those areas fully, you may feel a need to relieve that discomfort by stretching -- like you do when you wake up in the morning.

(Seems to me that if you do this at home regularly, when you are in a tense public situation you could just open your mouth ever so slightly, feeling the weight of your jaw and breathe with the very hushed "haa" sound that no one would really hear. Doing this a few times might be enough to break the tension spiral
.)

Hey Robin

That sounds like a great exercise that I'm just going to HAVE to try! :)

Thanks!

Thats one area I've never had trouble with. In fact I feel like Rip Vanwinkle most times. I've lost so much of my life to sleep. I don't mind it for myself because my dream life is so amazing but I've missed too much of my kids lives.

Meetz, I found some more informationa to accompany yours:

•Wear socks to bed. Due to the fact that they have the poorest circulation, the feet often feel cold before the rest of the body. A study has shown that this reduces night wakings (Click Here).

•Read something spiritual or religious. This will help to relax. Don't read anything stimulating, such as a mystery or suspense novel, as this may have the opposite effect. In addition, if you are really enjoying a suspenseful book, you might wind up unintentionally reading for hours, instead of going to sleep.

•Avoid using loud alarm clocks. It is very stressful on the body to be awoken suddenly. If you are regularly getting enough sleep, they should be unnecessary. I gave up my alarm clock years ago and now use a sun alarm clock. The Sun Alarm™ SA-2002 provides an ideal way to wake up each morning if you can't wake up with the REAL sun. Combining the features of a traditional alarm clock (digital display, AM/FM radio, beeper, snooze button, etc) with a special built-in light that gradually increases in intensity, this amazing clock simulates a natural sunrise. It also includes a sunset feature where the light fades to darkness over time - ideal for anyone who has trouble falling asleep.

•Journaling. If you often lay in bed with your mind racing, it might be helpful keep a journal and write down your thoughts before bed. Personally, I have been doing this for 15 years, but prefer to do it in the morning when my brain is functioning at its peak and my coritsol levels are high.

•Melatonin and its precursors. If behavioral changes do not work, it may be possible to improve sleep by supplementing with the hormone melatonin. Ideally it is best to increase levels naturally with exposure to bright sunlight in the daytime (along with full spectrum fluorescent bulbs in the winter) and absolute complete darkness at night. One should get blackout drapes so no light is coming in from the outside. One can also use one of melatonin's precursors, L-tryptophan or 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP). L-tryptophan is obtainable by prescription only. However, don't be afraid or intimidated by its prescription status. It is just a simple amino acid.

•Get to bed as early as possible. Our systems, particularly the adrenals, do a majority of their recharging or recovering during the hours of 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. In addition, your gallbladder dumps toxins during this same period. If you are awake, the toxins back up into the liver which then secondarily back up into your entire system and cause further disruption of your health. Prior to the widespread use of electricity, people would go to bed shortly after sundown, as most animals do, and which nature intended for humans as well.

•Check your bedroom for electro-magnetic fields (EMFs). These can disrupt the pineal gland and the production of melatonin and seratonin, and may have other negative effects as well. To purchase a gauss meter to measure EMFs try Cutcat at 800-497-9516. They have a model for around $40. One doctor even recommends that people pull their circuit breaker before bed to kill all power in the house (Dr. Herbert Ross, author of "Sleep Disorders").

•Keep the temperature in the bedroom no higher than 70 degrees F. Many people keep their homes and particularly the upstairs bedrooms too hot.

•Eat a high-protein snack several hours before bed. This can provide the L-tryptophan need to produce melatonin and serotonin.

•Also eat a small piece of fruit. This can help the tryptophan cross the blood-brain barrier.

•Avoid caffeine. A recent study showed that in some people, caffeine is not metabolized efficiently and therefore they can feel the effects long after consuming it. So an afternoon cup of coffee (or even tea) will keep some people from falling asleep. Also, some medications, particularly diet pills contain caffeine.

•Alarm clocks and other electrical devices. If these devices must be used, keep them as far away from the bed as possible, preferably at least 3 feet.

•Avoid alcohol. Although alcohol will make people drowsy, the effect is short lived and people will often wake up several hours later, unable to fall back asleep. Alcohol will also keep you from falling into the deeper stages of sleep, where the body does most of its healing.

•Lose weight. Being overweight can increase the risk of sleep apnea, which will prevent a restful nights sleep.

•Avoid foods that you may be sensitive to. This is particularly true for dairy and wheat products, as they may have effect on sleep, such as causing apnea, excess congestion, gastrointestinal upset, and gas, among others.

•Don't drink any fluids within 2 hours of going to bed. This will reduce the likelihood of needing to get up and go to the bathroom or at least minimize the frequency.

•Take a hot bath, shower or sauna before bed. When body temperature is raised in the late evening, it will fall at bedtime, facilitating sleep,

•Remove the clock from view. It will only add to your worry when constantly staring at it... 2 a.m. ...3 a.m. ... 4:30 a.m. ...

•Keep your bed for sleeping. If you are used to watching TV or doing work in bed, you may find it harder to relax and to think of the bed as a place to sleep.

•Have your adrenals checked by a good natural medicine clinician. Scientists have found that insomnia may be caused by adrenal stress.

•If you are menopausal or perimenopausal, get checked out by a good natural medicine physician. The hormonal changes at this time may cause problems if not properly addressed.

•Don't change your bedtime. You should go to bed, and wake up, at the same times each day, even on the weekends. This will help your body to get into a sleep rhythm and make it easier to fall asleep and get up in the morning.

•Make certain you are exercising regularly. Exercising for at least 30 minutes everyday can help you fall asleep. However, don't exercise too close to bedtime or it may keep you awake. Studies show exercising in the morning is the best if you can do it.

•Establish a bedtime routine. This could include meditation, deep breathing, using aromatherapy or essential oils or indulging in a massage from your partner. The key is to find something that makes you feel relaxed, then repeat it each night to help you release the day's tensions.

•Go to the bathroom right before bed. This will reduce the chances that you'll wake up to go in the middle of the night.

•Wear an eye mask to block out light. As said above, it is very important to sleep in as close to complete darkness as possible. That said, it's not always easy to block out every stream of light using curtains, blinds or drapes, particularly if you live in an urban area (or if your spouse has a different schedule than you do). In these cases, an eye mask can help to block out the remaining light.

Too Little Sleep May Accelerate Aging

Back
Top Bottom