Time to Redecorate !!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all ,

Im hoping you all might have some good ideas , Im looking at redecorating my sons room , he turned 11 in Nov. His room is currently painted gray its got large red arrows and caution tape covering the outlets as well as the american plane identification mark on the wall , his name is stenciled above his doorway, so it was made to look like the outside of a military plane, while this was really cool for him for quite some time , he really is in need of a more up to date room .

he really enjoys anything to do with military, he is in absolute love with Halo3, he likes sports , im just really at my wits end here i want to do something he will really enjoy and that will grow with him, but nothing completly insane either.

Any ideas would be very welcomed ! Thank you

ok, this sounds weird.......

but if he likes military, what about one wall Navy, one wall Army, one wall Marines......you get the idea..........

I originally thought of just doing the whole room in a CAMOUFLAGE pattern, but, um, I don't think you'd go for that..........hehehehe:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::bigmouth::bigsmile:

Cargo nets are cool....

...we hung them on the walls so my son could hang miscellaneous stuff in them!

It works well for military or oceanic themes.

:rock:

My son's bedroom is actually Confederate
and Union Era ~ Including wallpaper border
and Flags ... People think it's really cool,
even the paint on the walls - which is
actually a combination of the Union Blue
and Confederate Gray which I worked in
carefully to blend and it came out great;
which is a light shade. And of course the
trim is the dark blue which was used on
both sides - No red paint used here -
sufficient is on the huge border which is
high on the ceiling (nearly 9" wide border
of both Union & Confederate).

My son has participated Civil War demos
and you can almost swear you've heard
guns firing and cannons going off. While
he's played mostly in the Confederate,
but there's times when the Unions fell
short and he's played both the Yankee
and Rebel - so he's died both ways...
*laughs*.

If you inquired what position he liked to
be in, he likes those cannons (while they
don't fire cannon balls, but it's a lot of
work just to make a lot of smoke and a
bang - to impress tourists) ... it does
look real and life like. But there's been
times soldiers forget they're dead or
shot. *laughs* Especially when it's lunch
time on the kettle! *laughs*

That's when you'll see the "dead rise
again" - *laughs* But of course, they're
hungry ~ what do you expect?
:agree:

He is at an age where he could help you design it. Get some magazines or find some ideas online and let him have a say. He is old enough to help paint, and rearrange furniture too.
I have learned they take part in keeping it clean more often when they have invested time in the project.

but if he likes military, what about one wall Navy, one wall Army, one wall Marines......you get the idea..........

I originally thought of just doing the whole room in a CAMOUFLAGE pattern, but, um, I don't think you'd go for that..........hehehehe:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::bigmouth::bigsmile:

I had the same thought :ponder: painting the walls camouflage or just one wall hanging military model planes from the ceiling .... painting the the room in a few different shades of blue making it look like the sky & clouds :pop:

If I was doing a military themed room, I'd make it wrap
around the walls. I would also have the ceiling be a blend
of the walls. Each wall would have a area of military history.

Wall 1 - Pre-Modern Warfare
Wall 2 - WWI & WWII
Wall 3 - Vietnam
Wall 4 - Current
Ceiling - A blend of each walls theme

Some things to paint on the walls: various planes, helicopters, soldiers,
Uncle Sam, tanks, jeeps, ships, planes in dog fights, Iwo Jima flag raising, Attack on Pearl Harbor, Bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki, Battle of the Bulge, D-Day Invasion, various war & recruitment posters,etc.

You can hang models of the planes & helicopters from the ceiling. There are also military themed linens you can get. I have seen hundreds if not thousands of various military accessaries you can get for your sons room.

Here are few pictures to give you some ideas.

1medicpd9.jpg

iwantyouusarmybb4.jpg

militaryof6.gif

militaryrj6.jpg

militarysealsbronzewr1.jpg

sam4ir4.gif

unclesampointingfingeria4.jpg

usmilitarysealsdk8.jpg

wwiipp2.jpg

wwiiiwoae7.jpg

wwiiposters1hw9.jpg

I hope this helps. :)

WOW guys thanks so much ! I had thought about doing the whole room Camo, but it sorta un-nerved me to think of myself in there for days on end paiting it just right ,
(when i did my daughters room with flowers, butterflies, dragonflies, catapillars and ladybugs it took me 5 days !!!! 4 hrs a day just painting the lil buggers). But the diff. themes on the walls sounds really neat , ill run it by him tonight and see what he thinks about it,

Im sure he would love to help me , but his type of E has him at a much younger level of functioning than that of another boy who is 11 , im sure he will have some input and of course he can move the furniture to his liking, i just dont think ill hand him over a paintbrush and tell him to have a go at it , otherwise the neighbors cat may be polka dotted and their dog may look like a skunk .. teeeheee

Thank you all so much , he loved the idea of having a military room with all the diff. branches . here is how we decided to do it

Army wall - camo and netting with uncle sam and possibly a few pics of tanks , and his dad is giving him all his medals to put into a shadow box

Navy wall - an aircraft carrier in the ocean , and ill frame some pics of my grandfather who was in the navy

Airforce - we will use the wall that already has the american plane identifier mural , and then either paint or frame pics of different aircraft

the last wall which has the closet on it will be american themed , red white and blue in his closet , along with a flag patterned curtain , since his closet doesnt have doors on it

Ill take pics when it is complete ! thank you all so much im actually excited to do this !

My mother in law painted cut out pictures of various cartoon figures for my son on wood that had a nail hole through the right place to allow the picture to hang level.
In the event that you son either wants a new theme or you have to move or repaint his room, why not let him do the camouflage stuff on actual walls. You could paint the wood cutout figures and closely monitor him while he paints his room. Would he understand it was 'your turn' to do some painting?

Back
Top Bottom