TLE and Bipolar Disorder

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'd wager that fewer than 5% bipolar folk are truly happy with their treatments.
Oh come on. Treatment is difficult, but it's not THAT difficult. You have to work with your doctor.

The hardest part for me was understanding symptoms and asking the right questions. Doctors don't educate and guide you unless you ask questions. My epileptologist has been very supportive and assertive about my medication on the epilepsy front without much effort on my part because he is a great nurse, but with my SZA I've had to be assertive to get where I am. I've literally had to put my foot down and say "HEY, hold on a moment, this medicine isn't working" or "HEY, I don't like this!", to get things changed.

But a comment like that scares people away from treatment and isn't supportive. Don't shy away from treatment YOU NEED simply because the doctors have a "low percentage" of getting adequate treatment! That is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I should correct myself. Actually, one of my AEDs (Tegretol) is a mood stabilizer. I’ve been on it for 29 years so I don’t know if it has any effect on helping my mood. The bipolar realization just came about when I had my surgery three years ago.

Back
Top Bottom