Tomorrow Is My Big Day

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've been there as short as 2 days, they got
it all, I guess I wished we all could get a
perfect timing; but then again I've been there
as long as several weeks! ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Yes, they got the seizures, but it wasn't what
they wanted; they wanted something else,
as if I was some type of a Vending Machine
and had control of the type of seizure(s)?

:huh:

If we ALL could control our seizures and
specifically could provide what they wanted,
there would be no need for us to be there
for hours, days, nights, weeks .... We could
do it like a 'Midas Touch'. That would have
made everyone's lives so much easier and
not to mention the cost / billing cheaper,
unfortunately ... back to reality ... this just
isn't so ... but I wished it were!

But not all my STM or LTM were videos,
I've had STM EEG and LTM EEG sans the
video and I've had STM vEEG and LTM vEEG
(video EEG).

*STM - Short Term Monitoring - 3 days
or less
* LTM - Long Term Monitoring - 4 days
or longer

I myself have spent a lot of time at IU med center as a support person not as a patient. There is a very, very cheap hotel connected to Methodist hospital (which is connected to IU Med by a tram or a very short car ride) If you call patient services and ask them about it they will give you the info. The hotel is actually an old part of a hospital that they converted into rooms. It is not luxurious or modern in any way but it was clean and quiet for sleeping and taking a shower. I do believe they will let your mom stay with you though. My father was at IU Med center for 10 days at they were very accomodating. Unless there is a reason with the video EEG that they do not want overnight guests. I have no experience with those. I hope this helps.

The Date Is Set.

Thank you all for the replies, and thanks for the information, we are going to have to look up that hotel room.

We have a date as of today..

My ankle surgery is on the 13th of February (Wednesday), than Sunday (17th) we will leave for Indianapolis and stay in a hotel room (too long of a drive to leave in the morning. On Monday morning I will be admitted to the hospital and I get to leave on Friday.

Since my mom is a teacher and has used up most of her sick days she is having to petition to the school board since I will be going into the hospital. *sigh* I hope she has no trouble.

Even though it's a month away, I have to admit I'm a nervous wreck. I don't like the thought of being taken off my seizure meds cold turkey. I know that's the whole point but goodness. Just scares me to death. I know it's necessary though.. I just hope we get the answers we are looking for.

One thing I've been wondering is, what if I don't have a seizure?

I remember when I didn't have one during my sleep deprived EEG they were shocked, they expected me too. It's like my body refuses to have one when being watched. Hehe. It doesn't like an audience! EMTs, nurses, family members, etc, have witnessed them. Just none on an EEG yet.

Thanks for all the advice. I never would have thought to bring something to cover my eyes!

Thanks!

Just wanted to let you know, we called and got on the waiting list for the Ronald McDonald house. We don't have a room for sure or anything, but she said she was pretty sure that since I was able to call a month in advance that my mom will have somewhere to stay.

My mom has a bad back, neck, etc., so although part of me wanted her to stay in the hospital with me, I know that it's better for her health to sleep in an actual bed.

If she isn't able to get in, than we will just have to find the money to get a hotel. Hopefully the cheap one someone on here mentioned isn't too bad per night. = )

Kate
Best of luck with your video EEG and hospital stay. I have had many EEG's but never had a video one so nothing to advise you on there but I do hope it goes well

Again I'm wishing you all the best. :angel:

2fbfb928.jpg

Don't forget to take pictures

BTW.. what is the crown from?

Hi Kate! Since your mom's a school teacher, could she ask her union rep if other teacher's in her district can donate sick leave time to her? I'm also a teacher, and in my district, we're allowed to donate sick leave time to other teachers.

Wishing you all the best and Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom