tongue spasms at night

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

whisper

New
Reaction score
Can anyone help me..at night when iam about to fall asleep my tounge jerks I then jump up grabbing my tounge is this todo with , my epilepsy I was out in phyniton about twenty years now .... my girl thinks I was wrongly diagnosed as never had a seizuer , but iam getting this everynight and scared iam going take a fit ., my doc said he thinks this is my anxiety its getting worse ., and iam realy scared ..iam also on 200mg if amytriptyline 200 mg phyniton , csn any one tell me what it is ., thankyou

Hey whisper, have you mentioned the spasms to your neuro or regular doctor? They might be able to help you with prevention/treatment advice. It could be seizure-related, though if you're not having any other seizure symptoms, then that's less likely.

As with many conditions, being tired or anxious can make it worse, but those things aren't usually the primary cause. It can definitely help to find ways to de-stress, so if you can, see a therapist or try meditation. It might help to do progressive relaxation when you get into bed at night: You slowly tense and then release the muscles of your body, starting at your feet and working your way up to your head and neck. As you contract your muscles, inhale (from the diaphragm/stomach area), and then when you relax your muscles, slowly exhale, breathing out for longer than you breathed in. This is a very gentle process that cues your body to relax.

You might want to try changing your pillow to one that allows your neck to rest in a different position than it currently does. Chewing gum helps some people -- I wouldn't recommend it when you go to bed (for safety reasons), but you could chew gum in the half-hour prior to bedtime.

Last edited:
Hi whisper it could be you are tense. You need a :hugs:

Whisper I was on amyltripoline many years ago and did horrible things with me I had difulcully swallowing felt my tongue to big I put it down to panic attacks but it all eased up when I stopped taking it

Thanks for reply ., I was thinking my amytripyline as I now take 100mg instead of 150mg .. but its happening just as I drop of to sleep I have been looking on net for a answer its deeply worrying and scared to go to sleep ..I have now taking to few glasses of wine tonight to see if helo me sleep., iam waiting ti go to a group about my anxiety..

Is there such a thing as epilepsy while falling asleep been reading about Myoclonus form of epilepsy

In people with epilepsy, the transitional moments between sleep and wakefulness are often when they are most vulnerable to seizures. Sometimes the seizures take the form of myoclonic twitches or spasms. Not all kinds of myoclonus are epileptic in origin, though. Many people experience a kicking movement just as they fall asleep, which is a harmless form of myoclonus. Hiccups are another form of myoclonus that are usually non-epileptic in origin.

So it's possible that your tongue spasms are epileptic in origin. You should discuss them with your neuro to see whether that may be the case and whether your medication should change accordingly. Either way, reducing stress and anxiety may help prevent the spasms, so it's a good idea to look into ways to do so.

It could be a blood pressure issue, when I am going to sleep - sometimes just before I drop off to sleep I get palpitations which lead to seizure activity. Whether it be a full seizure or an episode of myoclonic jerks or spasms.

You could get a filter table test, or a 24 hours blood pressure monitor.

Or short term, try raising your blood pressure before bed. I always have tomatoes and cucumber with lots of salt before bed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi still having same symptoms but feel as if the tongue spasms are getting more violent . I've seen neurologist and was in hospital getting TV and wore things on my head so they could monitor me . But had no results back as yet . I notice when I am not working at weekend I rest in my bed and they aren't as bad ..But during week when working it's awful going to sleep . So when in hospital relaxing they weren't as bad . . Anyone else have these tonnage spasms just when on brink of falling asleep .. I feel tension also at back of tounge feels like a weight

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom