[Research] Top Doc Update

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
It's time to complete the final update of 2012 List of GOOD Neurologists…Epileptologists…Neurosurgeons…and Pediatric Doctors.

If you have a doctor that you strongly recommend, won't you please go to: http://epilepsytalk.com/2011/05/03/newly-updated-comprehensive-list... neurologistsepileptologistsneurosurgeonsand-pediatric-doctors-2/

Simply add his/her name to the comments section, if they aren't already on the list.

Thousands of people like us, thank you.

I honestly think a list like that is rather useless if it doesn't say why someone perceives a neurologist/doctor to be good or bad.

A good example is that I see neurologists who are direct, to the point & get straight to the point as very good for me. To me that's very professional but someone else might perceive them as cold or unfriendly but I think someone who spends 5-10 minutes of a half hour visit talking about the weather to be wasting time (that's 16.5%-33.3% of the visit).

All of us have different standards that we judge our professionals by & if I don't know what standards someone else is using to judge someone good or bad then that opinion can't mean much to me.

Maybe you should have people state why they thought these doctors were good as well as what makes the doctors on the list so good to give it some legitimacy .

Last edited:
I honestly think a list like that is rather useless if it doesn't say why someone perceives a neurologist/doctor to be good or bad.

:agree:

My neurologist/epileptologist is on time, spends quality time, not just 10-15 minutes. She gave me her email address in case I have break thru seizures and need to be seen right away. She asks about my overall health, also, not just E, because I also have diabetes and am seen by an endocrinologist at the same hospital. They are on the same system in case I need either of them so they have direct contact, also.

My neuro is Dr. Laura Strom. She is also assistant professor of Neurology and director of outpatient services in the Neurology clinic of Univ. of CO (CU-Denver) School of Medicine.

Last edited:
Epileric -- I think you make a good point. I came across a website that reviews doctors (of all sorts), and they have a checklist of certain items, and you can rate them on a scale of something like 1 to 5 (items like...on time, bedside manner, etc.)

I could care less about whether the doctor is personable or chatty. What matters to me is whether...

1) The doc knows his stuff. Seriously. Neurology is one of those fields where there's tons of research going on constantly, and I want a doctor that is staying on top of the latest treatments. Also, a doctor that is open to and abreast of the most recent research on non-drug approaches like the Ketogenic diet, etc.

2) A doctor that is directly accessible by email or text when we are in a bit of a crisis or have a question about med changes, etc. I do NOT like calling the office and talking to a receptionist, who then tells me that the nurse will call, and so then we wait...an hour, or maybe until the end of the day when she gets around to returning calls, and then give her the question, which she then takes to the doctor, and the doctor gives her the answer, which she then relays to us...I do NOT like that process of having a go-between, because a lot of important information can get lost in the transition, not to mention all the time spent waiting to get a reply back. Our current epileptologist (in the States) and our Neurologist (here in Bangkok) are both accessible by email or text. Of course, it is the patient's responsibility to not abuse that access.

3) A doc that really LISTENS to what I'm saying when I'm explaining symptoms or asking questions. And...a doc that doesn't look at me like I have 2 heads when I come up with some hairbrained idea or theory, but rather says, "Well, that might work, let's give it a try" or says, "I don't think it will work, and here's why"

4) A doc (and a doc's office) that is reasonably on time. More often than not, WE are the ones that are knocking our doctor off his schedule, because Jon's getting admitted to the hospital, or he's getting squeezed in between scheduled appointments -- and that's how it goes with Pediatric Neurology -- kids have crisis, and I don't mind waiting a bit for my appointment because the doc is dealing with an emergency situation. But...we had one doc when Jon was an infant -- she was chronically late -- usually by at least 2 hours. All the other doctors that have seen Jon have been really good (when they're not called away on emergencies) about either being on time or even taking Jon in early on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom