topamax for 8yr old

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

babyann03

New
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my daughter has been on keppra for about a year, & noticed that it has made her emotions fly everywhere, she was always a really happy girl hardly got upset or really angry & agressive (i mean she had her moments) however the keppra made this more pronounced.... we started giving her a multivitamin with a reasonable amount of b6 in it, & that has helped somewhat, however havnt been able to get it for a couple of weeks so is not good right now!!!

we have recently added topamax sprinkles to the keppra it is only the 2nd night, but lastnight i found she did a bit of sleep walking & also had to go to the toilet each time i dont know if that is anything to do with the topamax or anything so am just keeping an eye on that & also her moods seem to be even worse today & am getting worried if the topamax may cause even more mood swings....

has anyone had any symptoms like that with topamax & or keppra??

Hi!

I don't have any experience with those two meds but my son takes Depakote. I have found that he has less negative reaction to the medication since giving him high dose folinic acid (NOT folic acid). Depakote interferes with folate metabolism. I wonder if the two meds you mention do something similar.

The most common Topomax side effects are ones involving thinking or behavior (like difficulty with concentration/attention or problems with memory), So that may make it a tricky fit with the Keppra. When will you be able to get more B6?

In some kids, Topomax makes it hard to sweat, and they overheat a bit -- may be that's affecting her sleep?

thankyou both for your replys.... will be getting the b6 thru the week thankfully!! i am really hoping that the topamax doesnt affect her concentration too much or lack of.... with any luck the both of them will work well.... all these nerves about it guess time will tell...
hootie what is folinic acid?? i have never heard of it.... however there are so many drugs that are mentioned that i havnt heard of before but in time i am assuming if the topamax doesnt work as well as we hope i will be getting to know more other drugs :(

Folate is a B vitamin. Folic acid (that is found in most multi vitamins) is a
man-made form of folate that may not be utilized as well as forms such as
folinic acid or methytetrahydrafolate (MTHF). Folic acid needs to be converted by the body before becoming useful to the body. The other forms do not. Some people are deficient in the enzyme that converts the folic acid into the useable form. Add in an AED (which interferes with folate metabolism) with an already-limping folate metabolism (for some) and you get reactions to the drugs.

I don't think all AEDs interfere with folate metabolism. You need to check the particular drug in question. I know depakote interferes with folate metabolism.

thanks for that info hootie!! i think id better check it out for the 2 shes on now... i know the lamactal depleated it, i have always been on folic acid as i take lamactal... as soon as we get the multi vit she'll be getting it again...

thankfully we got the multi v yesterday & it seems to be starting to work, the emotions are starting to ease up a bit!!! have noticed that we have to really smash up the sprinkles so they are smaller & easier to drink them all down however it does seem to be doing the trick, this has been the 2nd or 3rd night with no seizures!!! plus having a really gd sleep!!! so far so good.... yesterday they had a pupil free day at the school, & i had to wake bai at 8am to have her meds & then she fell asleep again until around lunch time she mustve been so tired!!! this morn & lastnight was really good...
i know hasnt even been a week yet, & my hopes could still be crushed but at the moment i am just waiting to see how it affects her concentration at school & stuff!!!

topamax keppra & mineral minds multi v may just be the right mix!!! (well atm she is still having 25mg lamictal for another week)

Sounds promising, I hope things continue to go well!

Back
Top Bottom