Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Public Transportation

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I drive when I can. But I am very familiar with the public transit in Baltimore now. I would bike if it was worth dragging my bike out of storage. Other than that I walk or run.

I saved up money, and got myself a new bicycle today.
Yes I know I am forming a stable, but trust me, it will not get like it was when I lived in OK. and owned seven bikes.

But of course, my backpack broke recently. so I have to find a sewing machine.
Rule of thumb, you will never lose a back pack you spent ten hours sewing yourself.

I am lucky. I can still drive and provide my own transport. I do feel for those of you who can't, because I have been there a few times over the years.

I have my husband haul me around, which with his hours, makes me a real PITA. If not him, I call my younger sister, or a friend, or a neighbor, and hope somebody isn't busy. When we moved into our house, we based it on good schools. This city has ridiculous public transportation, which I would use if at all possible. When we chose our house, my seizures were under control, I had a driver's license, and it didn't matter how far we lived from downtown. But now, my kids have been in the same school system for 4 full years, so I just have to be a nuisance.

This is interesting, I see a lot of people are doing what I do, they take the risk driving when they feel ok about it. Techically, we're all supposed to turn in our licenses, but that's like being exiled in this car-oriented society.

I ride low cc motorscooters, now have a tripod scooter, see: AutoMoto, though it doesn't balance very well. (It tilts into turns.) I feel safer and less of a menace on the highway riding mopeds, scooters, small motorcyles.

I also live in a college town, Amherst, MA which has a great network of buses! I can get everywhere I need to go that way. Locally, I ride my bicycle most of the time - I only use the scooters to get out of town. There's some great bike paths, too. One plus about a bike is it's a great way to keep in shape!

I'd like to hire a chauffeur for those long trips though - I do have my bad days.

In a way, we're setting an example for what the rest of the people should be doing. We're facing global warming and depletion of fossil fuels, so we're the pioneers here!

my motorcycle was sold, and my car is locked in storage hoping for a day I get my dl back.

Family,which is my bf and is a part of my family (we plan to get married).
Before that it was public transportation,family and my own two legs.

That is where I am at. My husband, public transportation and walking.

was riding my bike a bit ago while stressed out and had a seizure on it.
almost ripped my right ear off.
spent all but a week in bed from pain.
:)

oh well, another day.

Hi COurt,

I am sorry to hear that. Did you go to the ER about your ear? Were you put in the hospital?

Stress was probably the trigger. I am not able to ride a bike because of balance problems that I have. I wish I could.

Keep me posted, I care for you.

oh shucks, sorry for taking so long to reply.

The ear was put back on in er, I had about 30 stitches in my face. they gave me some ativan and kicked me out.
But at this point there are few to no scars. cept for a little on my ear. been meaning to get a new pic, but it can wait a little till I have healed a little more and gotten a haircut.

been off my bike since then because of my knee, and my road bike will be in the shop for about 2 weeks.

I am sorry that you had a tough time. Thank you for keeping us posted.

How are you now?

I am changing back to topamax, so life has been strange the past week or so (I read a lot of science fiction growing up) I am paying for that now.

I have been off my bike for about a week and a half now. I probably needed the rest anyway. but I am happy for the most part :) I still have a few stitches in my face at this point. but I look a lot better than I did at the beginning of the month.

Thanks so much for asking.

60187_463438595468_501960468_7191012_3124893_n.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great photo. Thanks for sharing it with us. I noticed that you have dark glasses on in front of the computer. Are your eyes photosensitive to the glare from the computer and other lights?

I am a little glare sensitive, but I have done computer jobs for most of my life.

I love walking so try to walk most places but I sometimes catch the bus to the next town which is to hard to walk to.

My parents are great, even though they live 30 mins away they will always take me somewhere if I need them. My parents usually take me to my neuro appts since Mum likes to come in with so she knows whats going on lol.

I am also lucky to have a very good boss who I do voluntary work for as he picks me up for vol work. He is also happy to help out if I need a lift somewhere & when I get the odd bit of paid work he will pick me up after I finish work at night.

sitting here still trying to talk myself into going somewhere,
have to remember to cut everything into several small projects with lot of rewards like milk shakes .
it is just that the weather it changing. and I don't feel like going out.

Back
Top Bottom