[Recommended] Treating Epilepsy Naturally

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
I have been reading a book titled Treating Epilepsy Naturally by Patricia A. Murphy. There is a foreword by Russell L. Blaylock, M.D. I respect him a great deal, so I decided to check out this book.

It is a guide to alternative and adjunct therapies.
It includes information on:
~Nutrition, food allergies, and the ketogenic diet
~Age, gender, and epilepsy
~Workplace and environmental issues
~Herbal remedies and other natural treatments
~Toxins and their role in seizure disorders
~How to choose and work with a health-care practitioner

I found neurofeedback mentioned but not to the degree that I would have like to have seen it.

I do recommend the book, mostly for its detailed information on Nutrition. In fact there are 5 chapters on the subject.
What is telling is the chapter on Food Allergies.
pg. 73
"There has been little research into the correlation between food allergy and epilepsy; what information exists is mostly anecdotal case studies. Researchers speculate that some epileptic patients may have allergic reactions in the brain that are similar to the swelling, anoxia, and inflammatory chemical reactions seen at other sites of local allergic reactions. The body becomes much more sensitive to abuses, to the point that just the smell of an allergen can bring on an absence seizure. Researchers who have studied seizures and allergies have stated that when no other cause for seizures can be found, the possibility of food allergy should be explored, especially in children."
pg. 79
William Pilpott, M.D., former director of the Institute of Bio-Ecologic Medicine in Oklahoma City, has estimated that about 50% of seizures may be related to maladaptive reactions to foods, chemicals, or inhalants.

Testing for Food Allergies
Allergy tests are controversial. Not all are accurate. Sometimes the test result in false positives (they tell you you're allergic to a particular food, but when you eat it, you have no reaction). In addition, while some allergy symptoms occur within a few hours of exposure to an allergen, others can occur up to 72 hrs afterward; testing is different for delayed versus immediate reactions. It is best to seek the advice of a health professional who understands the importance of nutrition; beware of anyone promising a quick "cure".

pg. 83
Food Sensitivities
More and more evidence shows that food sensitivities occur when the digestive system does not function properly. Most people are unaware of the association of foods with reactions because of the delayed symptoms, which may not appear for several hours or several days. Common symptoms include chronic fatigue, arthritis, hives, migraine headaches, asthma, stomach pain, sinus congestion, irritability, hyperactivity, and cerebral allergies. Adverse responses to foods can deeply disturb various delicate biochemical balances in the body.

While more physicians have now linked food allergies to seizures, Chris M. Reading, M.D., has gone a step further. He has suggested that some of the same hereditary food allergies that cause illness in one member of the family may cause other illnesses in other family members. He proposes that in families with allergy-linked conditions, including epilepsy and alcoholism, it may be more practical to test and treat the entire family.

Amazon product

I highly recommend this book as it is an easy read, and would be a starting point to discuss these therapies with your doctors.

Last edited by a moderator:
This site contains affiliate links for which Coping With Epilepsy Forums may be compensated.
Thanks Robin! I will check this out! :e:

Many good thoughts for you and Rebecca.

-Julie (trying to untangle myself from this medication web that I've got stuck in...before the meds. or the doctors "finish me off") :agree:

This book is on my wishlist. I was going to order it, but my birthday is coming up in a couple of days. I thought that I should wait and make sure no one else bought it for me first. I definitely need to read this!!!

I hope this is the book you are refering to Robin (see link below):

Page 112:

Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)

"...,there are two Known types of vitamin B6-related seizures in new born and infants under eighteen months of age: B6-deficient and B6-dependent."

And: page 113.

"the chance to Identify a pyridoxine-responsive seizure is lost if Pyridoxine is given with, or after, most Anticonculsant Drugs."

I hope this link works.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...over&dq=Treating+Epilepsy+Naturally#PPA113,M1

Regards

Andrew

Thanks so much I am so glad I read this, This is exactly what I was looking for I will be sure to get this book.

Good going Robin. Speaking as an adult I found the ketogenic diet plan,(with my own tweeks), marijuana, 7-8 hrs of sleep, keeping busy, prayer, and happy thoughts are my best natural medications for me. Quitting sugar and keeping glutin free work really well.
I've kept to this for over year have noticed that even if I mess up on the regime but stay sugar and glutin free I'm not subject to black-out tonic clonic seizures. I may get shaking hands, dizziness, and groutchy but no tonic clonic's.

Hi robinN, hi everyone.
First of all, let me introduce myself briefly :
I've been suffering of grand mal seizures from the age of 16 (I'm 32 now) .I have tried several meds (currently lamotrigine, less worst) and I'm very interested by alternative ways to treat epilepsy. I've been seizure free for the past 2 weeks (before that, I had about 1 per week).
I've been a veggie since 2 months, and take CBD every night but using only CBD isn't enough (my last EEG sucks).
If I understood correctly, it's your daughter who's epileptic robinN, Isn't she?
I have read a topic from Dr. Blaylock, which was highly interesting as he especially talks about supplement diet as taurine. Has someone tried take taurine ???????

I don't understand this extract from the article :

It is also important to avoid sugar and high glycemic foods, because hypoglycemia is a major trigger for seizures. A high intake of vegetables, avoiding red meats, and avoiding omega-6 oils will also reduce seizures.

I don't understand how avoiding sugar and high glycemic foods causes hypoglycemia ?????????????
I've read about the benefit of B12 complements, did those of you who have tried find benefits ?????
Thks everybody :)

Hi jochen --

I think Dr. Blaylock is referring to reactive hypoglycemia, which is the crash in blood sugar that can happen in the hours after a meal. (This is different from the hypoglycemia that occurs during fasting.) If you eat a high-sugar, high-glycemic meal you can experience an abnormally fast rise in blood glucose after your meal. The body responds by secreting insulin, which in turns leads to a rapid uptake of glucose by by tissues of the body, which in turn leads to a rapid crash of glucose in the blood.

I've read about the benefit of B12 complements, did those of you who have tried find benefits ?????
The B vitamins play a role in brain health, so if for dietary or absorption reasons you are deficient, it can be a good idea to take a supplement. People who are interested can read a bit more about B12 and the brain here: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/well/mind/vitamin-b12-as-protection-for-the-aging-brain.html

In my case, I take a B12 supplement because my White and Red Blood Cell counts are subnormal if I don't. The subnormal levels only started when my seizures did, but it's not clear whether they are related to epilepsy or to anti-seizure meds. Either way, taking the B12 corrects the issue.

Tks Naka for your quick answer :).

I will try B12 complements, it is worth trying. I understand about the changes in sugar levels.
Have you ever tried any other ways except meds and supplements ?
I have seen your profile and you take 200mg of lamotrigine, do you have any side effects cause i have some of them with 100mg?

Thks :)

Hi Robin,

Since I started taking 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with Mother in it a day my seizures have decreased a lot. The only time I had any problem was when I was put on a antibiotic for an ear infection but I found out the antibiotic could trigger seizures. I'm amazed at how the vinegar has helped decrease my seizures. Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Have you ever tried any other ways except meds and supplements?
I've tried tapering off the meds twice (under doctor supervision) with no luck. I've been seizure-free on the Lamotrigine for quite almost 9 years now, so I'm not messing with success.
I have seen your profile and you take 200mg of lamotrigine, do you have any side effects cause i have some of them with 100mg?
When I first went on Lamotrigine it affected my sleep, but after a few months that side effect wore off. Aside from that, it makes me a little sleepy, and I'm not sure but it may have affected my vision. I've also struggled to keep weight off. But some of these things could also be caused by aging (I started on Lamotrigine when I was 44), it can be hard to tell.

I've been seizure free for 1 month with Lamictal now (100mg).
I'm glad cause jerks decreased a lot. However, I don't know if it's because of Lamictal but I sweat a lot ^^ and when I'm watching a movie I cry for anything XD. At first, lot of troubles sleeping but it wears off.

Back
Top Bottom