Trileptal, possible low sodium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kerum

New
Reaction score
Hey all!
My 8 year old son was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago with complex partial seizures. We've had break through seizures here and there, but overall, we are VERY lucky to only deal with meds everyday and the occasional seizure.

Recently, he started having dizzy spells. Almost always in the morning, mostly about an hour after he got to school or so. We talked to his neuro and his Trileptal was increased 2mls. (he takes the liquid because he's stubborn and refuses to try pills...LOL).

Anyway, since that increase, he's been having more and more dizzy spells and is now nauseous with it, vomiting once or twice. A call to the neuro resulted in orders to get his blood taken and we are scheduling another EEG to see if it's his levels being off or if it's more seizures that just aren't coming through all the way.

My question: What will they do if it's his sodium levels? We can't back down on it from the original dose...he'll seize if we do that. But he was having symptoms even at the original dose. I like his current medicine since we don't see as much of the rage that most talk about with the other meds (he is pretty moody but he's also ADHD and some of that is from that condition).

Thanks in advance! I just don't have anyone else around that might know. :)

Kerum

My daughter is also on Trileptal (generic). I worry about the sodium issue also. My daughter gets headaches and tummy issues too but they are also listed in side effects and comes and goes. From what Ive read, they can give sodium supplements to help. Or switch to Tegretol which is the same med as Trileptal without the oxygen component added. Let me know what you find out. Prayers for your little guy that this passes.

Hi Kerum --

If the Trileptal side effects get problematic, the docs will recommend another med for him to try. Usually they ramp up on the new one while tapering off the old one in order minimize the risk of seizures during the transition. I hope he feels better soon.

Back
Top Bottom