trying to start working out again

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seizuregirl

Stalwart
Reaction score
I should mention this 1st, this really has nothing to do with my sudden exercise phase again, it's just helping to nudge me toward starting again.

I went to an appt. with a dr., not my neurologist, I'm sure he doesn't care at all about this. I had the normal start to the appt., getting weighed, blood taken to check on med levels and what not. I sat down in the office to wait for her, and unlike the wait for the neurologist, she was in very fast, 2-3min's maybe. The 1st word's out of her mouth was before she even sat down, "You've gained a little weight!"

My response, "Really?!"

I already know, I had to buy some new jeans a couple month's ago, no-one believed me when I had said that I needed new ones, what I had really didn't fit me anymore. And getting to the store to buy them was difficult as always, but before I was there, I had my sister look at the size I was already wearing. When I went to try the jeans' on at the store, I grabbed 2 different sizes' to prove to her that yes, I can't fit the current size I had already by putting on that size first, not comfortable in the least, and showed her, went back to put on the new size to show her that I could walk much more comfortably. In the end, she and other sister's, believe me now!

What's also nudging me is the warmer weather that's been happening sporadically in the last few weeks, being able to take slightly longer walks too, maybe 2-5min's longer, but with not having other's with me during the day when I would like to have them, hold's me back for anything more.

I did some yoga earlier today and it felt good, but when I tried to start it last year, it didn't last too long, maybe a week or so, but I hope I can continue and keep going and start a daily routine. I've been talking to myself for quite awhile now to do more than short walks a few times a week, and I think (hope) I can!

I think it's easier to add just a little bit at a time -- a few more minutes of walking, or maybe try jogging for a block or two.

Good luck!

Yeah, my therapist was telling me to get back into biking.

The irony of it was my old roommate just did like a 1000 mile bike ride and I kept seeing posts about it on Facebook. It was making me really upset and annoyed. Way to rub it in! Arrgh.

About 6 years ago I weighed a ton. It didn't take me long to go from a size 6/SM to a size 12/XL or bigger! I know it was due to the meds I was on at the time because I just couldn't stop eating. I'd find myself eating three meals a day plus a bag of potato chips and a half a gallon of ice cream a day.

A few years ago in the summer I started walking with my cousin at a local park that had a walking path. I only went with my cousin because I couldn't drive to the park and I don't live in the city. There were a lot of people there so I know if were to have a seizure they'd be someone to help just as there would be if I lived in the city. Do you war a medical alert bracelet or something like that? If you were to have a seizure then people would help people know what was going on. I'd walk a mile a day. It took us about 20 min to do it. By the end of summer I was back down to a size 6/sm. I watched my diet during the winter and managed to keep the weight off.

Keeping yourself exercising can be hard, I know. Before I started walking I was doing exercises at home. I'd do it at a certain time every day. Then I'd start telling myself I'll do it later, which I did, then later turned into tomorrow , which I would, but after about 2 weeks later never came and I stopped.

Keep up the yoga is there any type of exercising machine you can get? I found a bike that I could in the house for about $5 at a yard sale. Try to make it fun in some way, listen to music that you like or something like that? Watch what you eat too. I don't know what your diet's like now but try to make it a little more heather. Don't eat snacks all the time and don't put two or three extra helpings of stuff on your plate.

Good luck!

I've been using an elliptical machine that a sister found in a house clean-out that she and her husband do time from time to get more money when it's needed, it's 3 yrs. old and works just fine, but it's in the garage and it gets pretty boring out there when I'm using it.

My last laptop bit the dust a few month's ago that had a dvd player in it and the new 1 doesn't have 1 so I'm trying to maybe convince myself to, maybe, try to knit while using it to take away the boredom, otherwise I'm not too sure if I can keep going with it. My arm's are strong already so I don't use the arm bar's, it dosen't help that I don't have the co-ordination for using that too!

Last edited:
I've also been, slowly of course, teaching myself basic/beginner yoga position's, downward dog, chair pose, etc., etc., the easier 1's to do when I'm watching t.v. or movie's that I've recorded so instead of just sitting there or trying to follow an episode on 1 of the DVD's that I have so I'm moving instead of sitting.

It's starting to be easier to follow that so I believe that I can keep going!

I should let all of you know too, my Twin and I have always been underweight, and not by choice or eating disorder's. My parent's have had frequent dr's questioning them on what we ate, how we ate, and how much we ate, and it's always been the same as what other kid's ate, more too when it came to sweet's!

The question came up frequently when we during our teen's because many other girl's our age having eating disorder's. We just had a better metabolism than other's because of being born premature is what was decided buy all the dr's we had seen during our childhood.

It wasn't fun when I was in middle and high school when the other girls frequently spread rumors of my supposedly having been in the restroom after lunch, or said that they never saw me eating at all. But the few friend's I had, and my 3 cousin's that were in school too, helped me slow down those rumor's when teacher's and counselor's listened to them after they stopped to talk with them, along with my parent's at conference's too.

So I'm sure that what's happening now with this small weight gain is why my family didn't, well, a few just don't, believe me when I told them that I had gained some!

Last edited:
I have a stationary bike that gets pretty boring too. I try to watch TV while on it, but the bike is pretty noisy. My sister has a Stairmaster -- she's able to read a book while using it, but I think that would be tough for me.

I should let all of you know too, my Twin and I have always been underweight, and not by choice or eating disorder's. My parent's have had frequent dr's questioning them on what we ate, how we ate, and how much we ate, and it's always been the same as what other kid's ate, more too when it came to sweet's!

One of my friends in high school was so skinny and she ate like a pig! She probably wore a size 3 or 5. The only exercise she got was for a few months in the spring was when she was on the swim team. I hated her for this and had no clue how she did it!

So I'm sure that what's happening now with this small weight gain is why my family didn't, well, a few just don't, believe me when I told them that I had gained some!

A few years ago, after she'd had 2 children, the two of us did some clothes trading. I'd lost weight and a good bit of my clothes were too big for me, the tens and bigger, and I told her there was no way they'd fit her because she was still so skinny.

When we started trying on the clothes some of mine were actually too big for her, and these were the larger sizes! She said after she'd had the 2 kids she'd put on a lot of weight but you'd never know it if you looked at her!

Back
Top Bottom