Type of epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CP1425

New
Reaction score
My daughters epileptologist simply states that she has generalized epilepsy, but she doesn't seem to meet the criteria for any of the normal seizures.

She definitely has epilepsy, as it was diagnosed very clearly by EEG.

Her seizures are atonic in nature, but they have lasted anywhere from 45 seconds to 5 minutes in length. There is no muscle stiffening, jerking or convulsing at all. She's completely limp, and appears to stop breathing & all other bodily functions.

Has this occurred to anyone else???

She's fairly well controlled with a higher dose of Keppra for her size. She's very small, and pretty lethargic.

Welcome! My 17 month old son has quite a variety of events some we have been told are epileptic events others we get different opinions for. They have not been able to "see" his seizures on his EEG but have found he has a slight slowing on the back right of his brain. They are doing an MRI and Lumbar puncture in 2 weeks. He started on Tegretol 3 1/2 weeks ago which has helped his sleep, he was having quite a few events overnight, and also he appears in general to be more interactive with his older brother and sister.
He events last from a few seconds up to ? He has periods lasting up to 10minutes where he appears to be having cluster of small events, going limp eyes vaguing out. In some he vagues out and goes sideways or front wards, sometimes like a rag doll othertimes suddenly drops, he also has had ones where his limbs jerk and he arches back.
I feel so lucky that he does not appear to not breath during them.
This site has been such a support to me and helped me with so many questions.
Take care.
Donnajane

Hi CP1425, welcome to CWE!

Your daughter's seizures are called "generalized epilepsy" because the seizure activity spreads throughout the brain. As you note, her generalized seizures are different from the most common kind (grand mal).

It's great that the Keppra is helping control the seizures. Do you think the Keppra is what is making your daughter lethargic? Have her doctors suggested other meds or treatments that might be better in terms of side effects?

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom