Uhhh ohhh... Here it comes!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

resaebiunne

Stalwart
Reaction score
Well, I'm back in the job market...

I know I quit my job back in December in hopes of changing my career path to try and work at home and be my own boss, but my mindset has changed. Coming out of the bubble of depression and talking to recruiters has given me some insight. Working from home just isn't realistic as a contractor, you have to go where the work is.

Unfortunately I don't have my drivers license yet. I just submitted the paperwork to my epileptologist for it a week and a half ago. The other news is I have my first interview tentatively scheduled on Friday of this week.

So... What do I do, if I get the job and I don't have my drivers license? I suppose I'll try and mention the fact that I'm getting my drivers license back because of my epilepsy. Of course, there's the remote chance I won't get it back... I'm not seizure free, I just don't have tonic-clonic seizures, so...

The job is in a rural area of Tennessee about 50 miles south of Nashville, so there's not really anywhere close to live or public transport to use.

UGH.

I'm keeping records of all this in case I have to apply for disability in the future.

Good luck with the job search! I hope the interview goes well.

If it pans out, maybe the company will have suggestions for where to live and how to commute.

Maybe live close so you can walk...

Rent a room. Put an ad in the local paper if there are no rentals already listed...
Or
Ask at a local grocery, etc if they know of someone who rents rooms.

I need more than just a room, I have enough furniture for an entire apartment.

I did find some apartments close by, but not walking distance. They were biking distance though. Not sure if there are any good bike routes or trails. I'm sure it snows there in the winter so that would make it difficult too.

Room could be temporary, if they can store your furniture for a while until you get your license back. Just an idea.

I did find some apartments close by, but not walking distance. They were biking distance though. Not sure if there are any good bike routes or trails. I'm sure it snows there in the winter so that would make it difficult too.

There could be people who work with you that live close to where you find to live. See if maybe they would give you rides. Make sure you offer them money for gas. They might really want to do it if you do because gas is getting pretty expensive and it could help them out a lot too.

My husband had been giving a woman he works with, who lived about 10 miles out of the way, rides to and from work for three months. He didn't mind at all but she never gave him one cent for gas the whole time so he quit.

Gas money is reasonable. If you had an idea of how much this job paid (hint: 6 figures) you would know gas money is peanuts, so yeah. It's more than fair.

I thought the job interview was supposed to happen tomorrow, but people are busy so it seems I have to work with the ebb and flow of the tide. I'm not complaining, as it buys me time to wait for my drivers license inquiry.

In other news, I got paid today which I wasn't expecting. I thought my current job's grant money had already run out, but turns out the money didn't run out until THIS pay period, and it was a rather large sum of money too. So I'm actually in good mood today!

Hi resaebiunne,

I wish you the best of luck with your new job. Just like you I can't drive but I am lucky enough to get the bus or what I have often done in the past is ask a friend or neighbor if I can get a ride into work or back home and I pay them for the gas money. This is just an idea but it's helped me out a lot when I can't take the bus. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

what about electric bike no licence required and if get one you can wiz it

My current boss suggests a moped. However, from what I understand even a moped requires a license in Florida, so I won't take his advice... And with the roads around here, people drive way too fast, so a moped would be dangerous because everyone would speed right around you while flipping you the bird, I'm sure. However, it sounds good in theory!

Back
Top Bottom