Understanding EEG's - Electroencephalograms - From WebMD

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Here's a WebMD site to assist you in
understanding EEG a little better and
giving you more insight:

Electroencephalogram (EEG) - From WebMD

Here's an excerpt (I added the bold
to put in the emphasis):

What To Think About

If the doctor thinks that a person has epilepsy but the EEG is normal, the technologist running the EEG test may have the person look at a flashing light (photic stimulation), breathe fast and deeply (hyperventilation), or sleep during the test. These techniques sometimes show epileptic EEG patterns that did not show up at first. If epilepsy is suspected after an initial EEG, the doctor may repeat the EEG more than once.

An EEG done during a seizure will almost always show abnormal electrical patterns. This makes an EEG useful when a doctor thinks that a person is having psychogenic seizures (pseudoseizures), which have no physical cause but can be caused by stress, emotional trauma, or mental illness. Psychogenic seizures do not cause abnormal electrical activity in the brain and will not show abnormal EEG results.

Other tests that may also be done include:

Video EEG. Video EEG records seizures on videotape and on computer so that the doctor can see what happens just before, during, and right after a seizure. This test can be very helpful in finding the specific area of the brain that the seizures may be coming from. It is also helpful in diagnosing psychogenic seizures, which may look like real seizures but do not affect the electrical activity in the brain. Video EEG may be used short-term or long-term:

Short-term monitoring is done on an outpatient basis and may last up to 6 hours.

Long-term monitoring is done in the hospital and may last 3 to 7 days.

I call it your heart in seizure....

The upper lines are your brain and the rest of your body effected by your brain obviously. This is my personal E.E.G. and it makes perfect sense to me as I understnad electronics and most other things better than most. Probably why I learned to trap my seizures in my right arm to keep them off my heart. Never know what happens along the way. Living on borrowed time is always interesting.

Sincerely,

Gen. Andrew F. Strasser

Back
Top Bottom