Update on my daughter

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

chmmr

New
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Here's the update on my dd. We saw the pediatric neurologist last friday (i had emailed them in june with the videos and updates about the two complex partials she had while awake and they were originally going to see her in November when they came to town for their outreach clinic but they wound up calling us and telling us they bumped her to the August clinic instead (they only come here every 3 months for 3 days, otherwise we have a 5 hour drive to see them). We haven't seen her for about 2.5 years, and the last time she did, she took my daughter off her meds (she was a year old), and had decided she wasn't having seizures.

Anyways she examined my daughter and was very happy with her exam, and didn't find any deficits or red flags. She read my print outs about the episodes (i had them all neatly listed with time, date, situation, and what happened). She agreed that the two episodes my pediatrician told me were complex partials, were likely seizures , and feels that she is also having episodes when she is sick too. We discussed putting her on meds again but she and i both agree that our episodes aren't frequent enough right now to have the risk of side effects be worth it. She did really push the idea of putting her on clobazam for a few days at a time when sick so she doesn't have issues (i'm not entirely clear on why-i guess having her on the meds for a few days would decrease the possibility of her having seen or unseen seizure activity, and prevent any possible damage? ). I said that i didn't really think we needed it now, but even though the neuro said she was ok with that initially she then really kind of pushed the issue so i agreed to take the prescription. (on a related note, i hate that i have to split a tablet into 3/4 in order to get the right dose. ugh.) Anyways long story short, we did finally get heard by the neuro (yay!) and i really felt like we had a productive visit. She said she feels like whatever it is my dd has, she will grow out of, but in the meantime we will treat her with meds when ill, and she wants to be notified of more seizure activity, and/or prolnged seizures so she can reasess if necessary.

Wow, that is an amazing story. What is "dd." ?

That sounds like a great appointment. My 31month old was on Clobazam for around 6 months as well as taking Tegretol morning and night. Yes I agree having to cut the tablet is annoying. He was on 1/4 then a 1/2 of a tablet. He has now stopped the Clobazam and we had a pretty bad 10 day transition period of super restless nights and more seizures at night but that settled but to his regular night once the Clobazam was out of his system. For us the Clobazam got us through a difficult period with his issues and like you we are hoping he will or is growing out of what ever is going on.
Donna

Back
Top Bottom