Update regarding DBS and VNS issue...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

suebear

Veteran
Reaction score
For the past year it has been an interesting chain of events. In August of 2011 I was one of very few to have the Deep Brain Stimulator placed in my neck to control the seizure activity taking place.

At the time I was having four to five seizures a day (complex partial) so it was not pretty. In 2007, I had a VNS placement as we thought it would be something that would take care of the seizures unfortunately the neurologist I had at the time could only keep raising it without getting much of a positive reaction. Hence, why we chose to go with the DBS surgery. While I was in the hospital, we did replace the VNS with the smaller version since it was new and I was due for a replacement.

Something I was informed of after the DBS surgery was it would be very intense as there could be a length of time to find the right settings pending upon how my body would react. Sure enough, it was not until April of this year when we actually were able to determine the correct setting which was low.

As of today, we were finally able to put the VNS on a very low setting. :clap:

Back
Top Bottom