[News] Using epilepsy as a criminal defense

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I don't know about the judgement but I didn't like the way some media reported that he also had psychiatric problems hence associating the epilepsy with them (the psych probs)

yeah. its vague, but the information they did say seems very odd. like he is trying to cover for it and the proscuters didnt do their homework very well. i dont think you could do that during a complex partial. especially because movements are slower and not deliberate, but more automaticly random. tugging clothing, walking aimlessly, rubbing your hands together. pacing etc.

and a tonic clonic wouldnt do that because, well its a TC. your not concious nda only have one movements. post-ictal, maybe

I read about that case also and it certainly made me wonder if it was fact or fiction. It's a bit suspect, me thinks...

There are reports in E forums of people doing all kinds of strange things during CPs or when post ictal including stripping off clothes in public and rage attacks on anyone nearby. I suppose it's not entirely impossible for epilepsy to be responsible in this case. Very sad either way.

Back
Top Bottom