[Info] Vimpat v. Zonegran

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Debbie

Did you mean Vimpat?

I've tried both these meds, both were add ons to Tegretol & Keppra.
I was put on Vimpat in February last year, it didn't work for me as it really affected my moods. I got to the stage where I was getting emotional over crazy things so I eventually contacted my neuropsych who works with the neuros I see at an epilepsy clinic. My neuropsych let my neuro know & he took me straight off the Vimpat.

At my last follow up appt at the epilepsy clinic which was in May my neuro & I discussed my seizures & meds. We decided to try a new med & he put me on Zonegran. For me I've had no issues with the Zonegran & pretty much no side effects.
My seizures had also reduced a bit but the last 2 months they had increased again which I know was due to stress with stuff going on in my life.

As we always say everyone is different when it comes to meds & what works for one may not work for the other :)

Last edited:
Hello CQ ~ Thank you for your response. Yes, I guess I got the spelling wrong with Vimpat.

I am more leaning towards Zonegran. I have more active migraine than seizure, however with the absence seizures I have I barely know I have them except for the reports back from my social circle, being unresponsive and in a daze. But my EEG shows the slow waves and spiking which is indicative of seizure potential.

Sorry, CQ, I hit the reply button by mistake.

Thank you very much for your input. Will post more when I go on Zonegran.

The only thing I worry more about is adding Zonegran while on Depakote, but then I am slowly now titrating down from Depakote, so hoping it will not cause complications.

Debbie

Sorry, CQ, I hit the reply button by mistake.

Thank you very much for your input. Will post more when I go on Zonegran.

The only thing I worry more about is adding Zonegran while on Depakote, but then I am slowly now titrating down from Depakote, so hoping it will not cause complications.

Debbie
I've never been on depakote so not sure of the side effects. But good luck with the med changes

Also not sure if you realised but you can edit your posts, there is an edit button at the bottom. Just press that make the changes and save.
If you want to delete posts press delete and i think it comes up with a posts asking of you are sure you want to delete.

You can only edit newer posts

Last edited:
Debbie,

These were the side effects we observed with our son (he has autism and many side effects may not apply to the population not effected by autism).

Depakote - Forever hungry and lethargic, potent in controlling seizures
Zonegran - Reduced appetite, a very bad depression with panic attacks, potent in controlling seizures
Vimpat - No observable side effects so far, potency - Too early to determine

Hope that helps some!

Thank you CQ for your help in learning how to edit and delete. Being new to this forum, it's always helpful learning these things :)

Nakamova~ Thank you for copying all the links in an effort to help me learn about Vimpat and Zonegran :) Copying all the links took alot of time and I appreciated your interest in helping me :) The links were most helpful !!

Suman ~ I see you are new to Vimpat. Could you keep me posted as to your experiences with Vimpat. I am not going to be able to go on Zonegran due to it's sulfonamide properties and propensity to develop kidney stones, since I am prone to those stones (Uric acid stones). I usually have to have them removed surgically and don't want to keep repeating that experience. So, my neuro prescribed Vimpat and will pick up that prescription next week. I am to slowly come down on the Depakote and introduce the Vimpat at the same time so there will be some coverage when I completely go off of Depakote.

The only thing I am worried about with Vimpat is the potential of irregular heart beat issues and fainting as a consequence. I will be starting off on 50 mg for two weeks along with going down on the Depakote. After two weeks will increase the Vimpat to 100 mg and by then I may be able to come off of the Depakote depending upon experiencing any withdrawal effects and tolerating Vimpat at 100 mg. She said to take 50 mg in the AM and 50 mg in the PM when I increase to 100 mg. But will start off taking the 50 mg in the late afternoon. I tried Onfi two weeks ago and had trouble breathing, so I want to make sure I am awake and aware of any potential of unwanted effects of this new drug. The only thing I am pouting about is being sedated again. Right now the sedation levels are way down and I can get out of bed and get the day going without having to sit in my recliner all day long waiting.

Thanks once again everyone for your input with these two medications :)

Debbie

Last edited:
Good luck on the Vimpat, and keep us posted!

My daughter is on the maximum dose of Vimpat and it has been the most successful drug for her by far (she tried 3 others before that). She did have some very extreme tiredness when she started it, and when she has upped her dosage, but she's been on the same dose now for over a year and has no major side effects from it at all.

Best of all, she gets pretty good seizure control from it. Not 100% because she still has simple partials fairly frequently (5-6 a month), but since starting Vimpat she hasn't had any complex partials or secondary generalized seizures.

Good luck and I hope it works for you!

Hi Kgartner :) Glad to know your daughter has been helped on the Vimpat and her side effects have been at a minimum.

I am worried about the irregular heart issues and fainting and am wondering about starting Lyrica first before Vimpat. I may try to reach my neurologist next week and run this by her.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,
I've been on both Lyrica and Vimpat for absence and complex partial seizures. The Lyrica didn't work for me at all but the vimpat has been working really good reducing my absence and complex partial seizures a lot. I have had a problem with a rapid heartbeat and I thought it was the med but sure enough it was my heart.
Here's wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Porkette ~ May I ask what you did to prove it was your heart... did you see a cardiologist? How long did your rapid heart beats last each event? Are you still having rapid heart beats and are you still on Vimpat? Did you have any fainting during the rapid heart beats?

Thank you for responding Porkette and sharing :) Your experience is invaluable :)

Debbie

Just found out that Vimpat is a "VIMPAT is a federally controlled substance (C-V) because it can be abused or lead to drug dependence."

Last week received a letter from my HMO restricting my Klonopin intake to no more than 30 pills a month and I don't want this to happen while I am on Vimpat along with becoming dependent upon it. I already cannot get off of Klonopin due to being on it for 30 years, I don't want to get hooked on Vimpat now. So, considering Lyrica as an alternative choice. Sigh, it's always something about choices.

Debbie

Both Lyrica and Vimpat are Schedule V controlled substances - the least restrictive scheduling - as are some other AEDs (onfi, fycompa, perhaps some others as well). This is perhaps due to their mood stabilizing or sedating effects (I'm not sure) but I have never heard of anyone getting addicted to Vimpat!

I would not worry about that too much. If it does have any addictive properties, it is not nearly on the same level as benzos such as klonopin.

From epilepsy.com:

"The idea that new antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) need to be scheduled because of abuse potential is almost comical to most epileptologists. AEDs have never been the subject of abuse and there are no case reports on the abuse of common AEDs. However, some AEDs affect receptor systems in the brain that could give them the potential for abuse. Even if this is the case, it seems reasonable that the DEA would revisit scheduling periodically and either decrease the level of scheduling or remove the drug entirely from the schedule. For example, Vimpat has been available since 2008 but there been no reports or evidence of its abuse in the ensuing seven years. There are few ways to influence the DEA other than legislation. It is possible to lobby the DEA for a change in "rulemaking” but this is a complex process."

Here's the link to the whole page: http://www.epilepsy.com/article/2015/3/new-role-dea-epilepsy

Hope that eases your mind! I think Vimpat is much more effective at reducing seizures than Lyrica for most people, but of course you need to do what is best for you.

Hi Kgartner ~ I am keeping Vimpat here to use in the event Lyrica does not do the job. I haven't given up on Vimpat yet, just wanted to give Lyrica a try and see.

I noticed in reading about Lyrica, the number one reason the control group went off of Lyrica is dizziness and sommolence. I am very sensitive to sedation in medication, so will see. Will start out low and see.

I hate starting new meds, wishing I could stay on Depakote. Thank you for the link :)

Debbie

Hi Debbie,
I did see a cardiologist and had a couple of tests done and that's how I found out that the problem was my heart.
When I first started vimpat and having rapid heartbeats they would last for about 15 seconds at the most and there was a couple of times I felt faint. What I found interesting is the rapid heartbeats always seem to happen in the evening when I'm just sitting in the living room watching tv and nothing is going on.
I will tell you that when you do get vimpat even if your Dr. gives you a yrs. supply you may have to double check with the pharmacy and get your Drs. okay to fill the vimpat because it's a controlled substance as it has been mentioned. Don't be surprised if you feel tired or dizzy for a few seconds when you start vimpat but that will stop after being on the med after a short time. Whatever you do stay away from alcoholic beverages because that will mess things up for you when taking vimpat. Wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Sue ~ Thank you for your detailed information on Vimpat. I will keep this in mind if Lyrica does not work out. I have always had rapid heart beat along with feeling faint at the same time and constant palpitations. Did see a cardiologist about this some years ago, but nothing came of it. Now due to my age, I may see my primary to have an ECG before starting Vimpat.

Debbie

Just met with an epiletologist who also teaches at a leading hospital, is head of the seizure program at a local teaching hospital and is well published. Glad I did my research, I liked his approach. I belong to an HMO and was going no where with those neurologists. It was exciting to meet with a real doctor, LOL (my hmo pales by comparison). Anyway, even though I am allergic to sulfa drugs, I did my research on this and found out that the fourth ring is missing in the chemical structure in Zonegran which is what causes the allergy. It has been studied that there is no cross-sensitivity from sulfa antibiotic drugs to Zonegran due to the missing 4th ring. However, he is starting me on a low dose for two weeks just to see if I develop the rash. If I do start a rash, then I will have to come off of it. My hmo refused to put me on this drug, but I think it's worth the try as Lyrica has no migraine prevention and my hmo wanted me to start on that. I pick up the medication tomorrow. Because it's not in my hmo's formulary, they are having to order this, but it was a fight to get it.

I did a search here on the website and have made notes about everyone's experience here with is invaluable. I especially like the recipe for a drink that will help with hydration.

He is also ordering magnesium oxide, folic acid (Vit. B2), and will add zinc to the mixture too. Will be sure to keep up the water intake and will be mindful to push myself to eat if I feel I am not wanting to over a 24 hour period of time.

My last metabolic panel was done 6 months ago, so will use that as my baseline and then in 30 days will have it repeated. I am prone to kidney stones, so hoping the water will help with that too. Everyone is different. But I need help with migraine as I had 3 migraine with auras last week, since coming off of Depakote they have been increasing.

Debbie

Back
Top Bottom