[Info] Vimpat v. Zonegran

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sounds promising, keep us posted!

Within 10 minutes of taking Zonisamide (Zonegran), I experienced severe body wide parethesia, sigh. Then after 5 hours, it suddenly stopped and went away. I looked up under the pharma companies study and found that paresthesia is a common side effect. Now, if I can adjust to this, remains to be seen. But I have to say, it was extremely uncomfortable and not to mention disappointing. This was the only immediate side effect I experienced. I need to be on a medication that will be a preventative for migraine and seizures together.

Debbie

Heard from the nurse of my new neurologist. He wants me to stop the Zonegran, he doesn't want me to take any Lyrica, and he's rethinking Vimpat or something else. He will call me tomorrow. Arugh !!!

I'm sorry seagull, can you ask me the question again?

Just looked up Vimpat and it has povidone in the inactive ingredients, so I can't take that either. I'm allergic to iodine and povidone is in that family. :(

Debbie

Do lamc have these side side effects nak
Do you mean Lamictal? As far as I know paresthesia (sensation of the skin burning or tingling) isn't a common side effect of it. Debbie's reaction was to Zonegran and it looks like her neuro is going to try to come up with something else...

Okay, update.... neurologist called this morning. He asked me to drink 4 - 8 oz glasses of water, then take 500 mg of magnesium oxide, then have breakfast, then 30 minutes later to take the Zonegran. After that be sure to keep flushing with water and to call him before 4PM today with the results. Fingers crossed this will work. I think he started me at too high a dose and also I wanted Zonegran not the generic as there may be something in the inactive ingredient that may be causing this. But too late now as my hmo will not re-dispense this early on.

I can feel the parasthesia starting now in my fingers :(

Debbie

True, paresthesia is not a common side effect, but if you will look at this link, under Table 4 it shows under Adverse Reactions in Nervous Systems, Paresthesia is listed there in controlled clinical trials.

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=d12de43e-3ac3-4335-bc85-70d7366a91eb

So, far I have consumed 6 - 8 ounce glasses of water within one hour of taking Zonegran and so far no significant paresthesia. Fingers crossed, the addition of Magnesium Oxide and all this water will help keep paresthesia at bay so I can stay on this drug.

Also, remember I have damaged my liver with the Depakote, so the irritability that my liver is experiencing is slowing down the metabolism of Zonegran and hence the side effects are going to be more dramatic now.

Debbie

Keep us posted. I hope the water cure works! :)

True, paresthesia is not a common side effect, but if you will look at this link, under Table 4 it shows under Adverse Reactions in Nervous Systems, Paresthesia is listed there in controlled clinical trials.

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailyme...5-70d7366a91eb
Not questioning your reaction to Zonegran -- was referring to Lamictal in my comment to Seagull.:)
Glad to hear the water w. Mg seems to be helping.

Thank you Nakamova ~ It was a total success today :) Interesting that this neurologist knew to mix the Magnesium Oxide (500 mg) and force water to prevent the paresthesia.

Did not hear back from my neurologist tonight, so hopefully he will call tomorrow. Only thing is, I can't spend my whole day gulping volumes of water like this as I would spend the whole day in the bathroom, especially when I am away from home...... so hoping the paresthesia will eventually go away and not be a permanent thing. Will update you further when I know more :)

Debbie

Still have not heard back from my neurologist, will call tomorrow morning. But I have found that I do not need to gulp the volumes of water initially to ward off the parasthesia. It's working with a minimum of 6-8oz cups of water. But I am finding a new symptom. By 5PM I start to get a headache with nausea. If I take 200 mg of Ibuprofen, it chases these symptoms away.

Stay tuned for more.

Debbie

When I first got on Zonegran, I remember that it gave me some very weird side effects. Even now when my epileptologist changes my dosage, those side effects will rear their ugly head.

I hope that maybe helps and that you feel better!!

I've always been against using Vimpat. I've read some bad reviews on what it's side effects has. Such as it can give you a heart condition and I don't want a heart condition along with epilepsy

I've always been against using Vimpat. I've read some bad reviews on what it's side effects has. Such as it can give you a heart condition and I don't want a heart condition along with epilepsy

I agree that the heart thing is scary. But I think every medication has scary potential side effects. And everyone has different (and totally valid) priorities about which risks and side effects are tolerable and which are not.

When I took Zonegran it was the worst 2 years of my life, even though the doctor had told me there were few side effects. Now I'm giving Vimpat a chance. Even though I've just started, I would take the risks and the current side effects from Vimpat any day over going on Zonegran again. I see in this thread that some people have had more success with Vimpat, and some have had more success with Zonegran. Just goes to show how different everyone is.

Debbie, I hope you were able to figure things out with the medication.

I'm on both Vimpat & Topamax. I have no heart issues due to Vimpat. I actually think Topamax/Topiramate is worse in some ways, with the constipation, short term memory, & "word loss" issues it causes.

Back
Top Bottom