Vitamins and defficiency testing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lindinig

New
Reaction score
So, all this talk about vitamin defficiencies has got me thinking. I was looking into magnesium, vitamin B, and vitamin D defficiencies. I put my son on a multi-vitamin for now, but I'm wondering if I should have some testing done. If I have testing done, will the results actually tell me anything? What should I ask for? How accurate are the results?

He's on Depakote ER right now, and from what I've read, it can cause a vitamin D defficiency.

Thanks for your help.

I must have missed all the talks on vitamin def. Can you tell me what they were about?

I have low B12 Pernicious Anemia, and Low Vit D.

I am being tested for seizure disorder...I had one EEG that showed spikes in the left parietal lobe. I have a 3 day EEG on Monday.

Are you saying that Vitamin Def....can and do cause seizures?

I'm not sure, but when I googled vitamin D, for example, there were some references to increased iritability, decreased memory function, etc. There were small references to seizure disorder. There were a lot of references to AED's leading to D defficiency. I was just wondering if I take him to get checked, will these defficiencies show up in the results?

I also suffer from migraine, and now, it seems, my son has the same symptoms of migraine that I have, on top of his other problems. I was reading a little about how certain types of vitamins can reduce the number of headaches you get. I rarely get the headaches. I get the auras instead, which are actually worse, IMO.

Are you saying that Vitamin Def....can and do cause seizures?

CORRECT.

Things like magnesium and vitamin b, d, and oddly vitamin K *helps with bruising*. deficiencys and toxic amounts can cause seizures in alot of different vitamins. The test would be a good idea to start with.

Ask them to check the basics *blood cell counts etc*, then check your hormones *too much estrogen can cause seizures or nto enough progesterone* and then the vitamins. Make sure you ask which ones the doc is going to check for and then you can add a few of your own. if possible, get him to check the whole sepctrum. IT sounds like a lot of work, but luckily you dont have to read the charts. But be sure to ask for a copy of the tests. it is your body, and technically now, your personal information. you have the right to take a copy of that with you. Then compare the results online.

:agree:

I agree with Rae.

Most of the vitamin, hormone, mineral levels are really easy to test. It's a common blood test, one needle, no sweat. Some of them, especially heavy metals, have to be done via a hair test. That just involves snipping a hair sample close to your scalp. No pain, and easy.

It's an important step to get all these tests run, to at least rule out simple and common things that are very easy to fix.

Lindinig,
migraines are catagoized as seizures now so its not unlikely that your son has them too. as seizures and migraines are hereditary for some families.

Magnesium is a great supplement to help with headaches. I take it after hearing RobinN's success with it, and it worked wonders. I even clench my teeth less.

FYI: One deficiency that won't show up on a blood test is calcium. (This is because the body will always make sure the blood has enough calcium -- even if it has to steal calcium from the bones.)

I read Robin's post about magnesium. I wonder how much I (and/or my son) need each day. I tried to search for a link between epilepsy and migraine and didn't come up with anything. It makes sense, as he and I both have to make sure we eat every 3ish hours, get enough fluids, and get enough sleep. Migraines are caused by the contraction of blood vessels to the brain, which is why chiropractic can help with migraines. Seizures, from what I've read, can also be caused from lack of blood flow to the brain.

I rarely get a headache. My son rarely gets them too. He only had one massive one with one of his last seizures in the last month. It went away about a day after his post-ictal stage. We both get dizziness, sensitivity to light & sound. Mine comes with my menstral cycles and the weather. I can also get it if I don't eat right or drink enough, but I can't help my cycles or the weather. My son, I assume, gets it from not drinking enough. I'm always on him to drink more.

I've learned to manage mine quite well. Usually I have hours of warning before it comes on. I keep ginger ale in the house and 1 12oz. can will take the dizziness away and I can resume normal activity within an hour or so.

I'm going to call the pediatrician today to see about the blood tests. I can't remember what the %dv of magnesium is in my son's multi-vitamin.

Back
Top Bottom