Vivid Dream or Seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dream Guy

New
Reaction score
Im a male, 19 years old, always been rather paranoid.Lost my house and living with my parents, with no job or college, and I been away for 2 weeks getting my wisdom teeth taken out (out of the country) and I missed my child desperately the whole time.

Lately I been having high anxiety, too much sleep, etc I thought I had General Anxiety Disorder or even Dislocative Personality Disorder ( Bad drug exp earlier this year) Im going to a clinic for a check up to be sure.

Well I'll cut to the chase, my child is sick with a fever so I didnt get much rest, so when I did go to sleep I smelt something like leaves from a weed for a spilt second when I lifted my blanket closer, I been having chronic stress aswell so my neck is tense, so I massage it occasionally and it makes cracking sounds quite easilly, but it felt as if my upper neck or back of my head let a flow of blood into my brain, like unrestricted blood flow. later a small but random spot on my head felt hot and even moist, so I scratched it, it went away. i went to sleep at 4am

Im my dream, everything was rather positive, nothing negative.Felt real. I was in my room (felt like my room but it wasnt a place I been before) reading a magazine, then my dad tells me to with my mother to pick up someone. So it fastforwards to me in the car at night with my mom and son, we were on a small hill road next to a soccer field, so a person got in the car and we drove off.

Heres the weird part. we were driving down a highway at night and there is a tower, like the ones that glow red at the top for planes on the side of the road or something. However it was glowing green, i thought maybe it tells you if lighting will strike or something around those lines, suddenly then light turns red and a bolt of lightning strikes right in front of me, the light was intense then it turned white, all I could feel was a electric sensation and my body becoming stiff and hearing pops and crackles of electricity a second in I calmly thought "let it pass through you and youll survive, or youll get brain damage" two seconds later (still under "electricity") i thought it was safe to move and moved forward a bit, it went away and asked how was my son, then I woke up like normal. My mother was asleep and I told her I might have had a seizure, she gave me look and went back to bed. I checked the time and it was 6:30. was it just a dream?

Hi Dream Guy --

My take is that what you experienced was NOT a seizure. By your own admission you can sometimes be paranoid, and you are under a lot of physical and emotional stress at the moment. Anxiety and stress can mess with your sleep and dreams, big time. In addition, the sensation of being jolted or jerked awake is not uncommon for folks with sleep problems or sleep deprivation -- and is especially likely if you are worried about your child. This sensation, called a "hypnic jerk," can happen when lack of sleep from anxiety or sleep deprivation confuses the muscles and the brain. The muscles continually attempt to relax and shut down for rest, while your brain remains awake creating continued “misinterpretations” of falling or loss of balance.

I recommend that you do your best to get caught up on your sleep. If you continue to have strange sensations, or they progress in some way, talk to your doctor about what's going on.

Best of health you and your family,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom