Volunteers required for research project!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

laura88

New
Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Laura, I'm a fourth year pharmacy student at Keele university
in the UK. I am currently looking for volunteers to participate in a
research project as part of my degree in pharmacy. The purpose of this
research is to investigate peoples' experiences of using online health
discussion forums to share information and advice relating to their
medication.

The research involves an anonymous online discussion of your experiences.
This can take place by email or private messaging system on the project
website. There is also a discussion forum if you wish to share additional
information or discuss the topic with other participants.

If you are interested in getting involved with this research, please go to
this address http://keeleresearchproject.wikispaces.com for further information.

Thank you for your time!

Laura

Last edited by a moderator:
Health Forum Research

Alternativley please could you take a few minutes to answer the questions posted below. If you don't feel comfortable answering a question you don't have to. Any input will be appreciated and may help to give a clearer understanding of how the forums are used.

Please confirm that you give your consent for your responses to be used for the purpose of this study as outlined in the participant information sheet.

How did you find out about coping-with-epilepsy.com?

What makes it appealing to you/why do you use it?

How often do you visit this forum?

How regularly do you create or reply to threads?
- Can you give some examples of the sort of things you post about?

Do you use any other health-related websites?
- if yes, please give details?

Have you/do you attend any non-Internet-based support groups?
- if yes, how do they compare to the forum?

Have you ever found medicines-related information or advice posted on health discussion forums?
- could you give an example and if so, how did you use the information/advice?

Are there any particular checks or safeguards you would make before using medicines-related information advice from the Internet?

Have you ever talked to a health professional (doctor, pharmacist etc) about medicines-related information you found online?
- if so, how was this received?

Have you ever posted medicines-related information or advice or your experiences with medicines on IBSHG discussion forums?
- if so, did you get any impression about what other users thought about it?

Is there anything else you think might be helpful for me to know? Is there anything you want to ask?

Last edited:
I'm assuming you prefer only those from the UK to answer this.

CWE is home to people from all over the globe including Canada, Austrailia, UK, India, Mexico etc.

and was created in the US

Sorry about that - just a typo! I've corrected it in the original message. Thanks for pointing it out though.

I'm aware that the site receives visitors from all over the world and would be interested in the views of anyone who wishes to participate. Any input on this topic is welcomed as I'm hoping to simply gain a better understanding of the role of forums such as this one in healthcare.

Sorry for late reply, I’ve been away for Christmas!
Thanks for the link to the other post, Bernard. However, I can't use other peoples data as part of my research project. I'm still interested in any peoples' answers to the questions above or any information that could be relevant. Any input would be much appreciated :)
Thanks

Hi Laura

What is the last date we can send responses to you? I've looked at the website, and it seems to be about July. Is that right?

Chel

Hi Chel,

As I have a deadline from university for my project I will need to receive responses by early March 2011 in order to include them in the analysis.

The initial timeframe of 12 months was for the entirety of the project including research and planning. Sorry for any confusion, I have now made it clearer on the participant information sheet.

Hope you’re interested in getting involved!

Laura

Back
Top Bottom