Waking up vomiting

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm new here... HI! My name is, Brianna and my DD Isabelle is living with epilepsy. I really don't know how to classify them all to you (the seizures) but the first big one was like you see on TV. She had three of those within a month and lost her ability to talk. She communicated with animal noises after that and we went through speech therapy. It was horrid. We thought we were in the clear but the seizures, I guess, have always been going on. We've since been schooled in what to look for but this is a new symptom that may or may not be seizure related.

About a year ago she started to vomit every now and then while sleeping, right before she fell asleep or as she was waking up in the morning. We thought she was allergic to something so we cut her diet down, kept food journals and reintroduced foods. She never had a fever with these vomit spells and seemed fine, other than very tired and would sleep after puking. But who doesn't feel exhausted after puking?

Anyways, so she does this about every month or so. It stopped for a while over the summer, but then started back up so maybe she didn't vomit like that 3 months out of all of last year. It has happened every week since the week before Christmas, now, though. And it doesn't end. We chalked it up to potty training and maybe she is constipated but even getting her on a laxative to move things along hasn't helped and the timing of the vomiting (in her sleep) has been the biggest concern. She has literally been vomiting in her sleep and wakes up choking. We've propped her up on pillows now and I sleep with her (have since she had her first seizure, it's a habit now and I can't let her go) but really... I am trying to find a solution/answer/cause to this and just didn't know what else to do. She does not have the flu, is not sick and jerks a lot in her sleep but I'm still new to this seizure thing and have no idea what's simply a kid jerking in her sleep Vs. a kid having a seizure while sleeping.

Any insight or information on vomiting and seizures would be helpful. I'm sorry for this long drawn out post.

Hi ...I'm new to the site as well,but your comment jumped out to me. my son is doing the same thing,like to the letter same.He's 17.
He has "seizure" like movements,extremely tired,but can't sleep.....his EEG yesterday showed nothing even after he had 9 such episodes...all why throwing up!!
I FEEL for you and hopefully someone on here has experienced the same and can offer some suggestions ??? I have to say this site has been really helpful :) good luck !!

Thanks. I've made an appt with her neurologist but of course they're all booked up. I can see the NP in March, so now we play phone tag until March unless she has a big seizure.

Hi and welcome to you both, cpthom2x and briannamarie. I think Chaz is right and that Panayiotopoulos Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panayiotopoulos_syndrome) is a plausible fit for the unfortunate symptoms you describe. I hope you can get emergency attention from the neurologist so that you and your children can get relief.

Best,
Nakamova

Welcome. I have a 2yr old who has had events since around 7 months old. his Dr's (Nureo etc) are still trying to work out what is going on with him.
I can totally understand you sleeping with her as it must be very scary. I hope you are able to get in and see a speciliast sooner rather than later.

Donna

Back
Top Bottom