Wanna slap a mom at soccer...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Yeah normally a not violent person. My daughter is four and she just started p,aging soccer about a month ago. It's not competitive just like proactive and scrimmages.

Taylor knows when she is having an aura and tells me. She came off the field and wanted to rest for a few and drink some water because her tummy was having roller coasters ( her description of her auras ) so we took a break and when she was ready she continued. No big deal kids come on and off for water and bathroom the whole time. This mom came over and asked why Taylor wanted to sit out so I explained it to her that she has epilepsy and she needed a break because she could tell she was going to have a seizure. The mom freaked out and ran to the office and said she wanted us kicked out and she didn't want her kid to catch epilepsy from my daughter.

It took quite a bit of restraint but I didn't scream at her. Luckily I had some bookmarks left over in my purse from purple day and gave her a couple so she could get some more info. Explained it is not contagious at all her son is in no danger at all. She was still being a cow after that so I just was like whatever and kept watching practice but seriously!!!!!

This is twice this has happened to us. Are people really this ignorant. I wanted to tell her epilepsy is not contagious. It stupidity is genetic...lol but im not very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:soap:

oh yes ,alot of people are very uninformed
to what epilepsy is,,,,tunnel vision of sorts.
you did the right thing...:clap::clap::clap:

I go into like protective mom mode and want to just freak out though....prolly not normal

Hi TM,
What that other Mom at the soccer match said was just wrong & I'm assuming it isn't even any of her concern why your little girl had a rest. Well Done on keeping your cool & trying to educate this lady about epilepsy. There is nothing wrong with protecting your daughter, it shows you are a great Mom :).

I was 1st diagnosed with epilepsy as a baby & I used to take tonic clonics until I was 2 - 3. My Mum has told me how not long after I was diagnosed with epilepsy she was down the street with me & saw a lady she knew. The lady had heard I had been sick & asked how I was, Mum told this lady that I had been diagnosed with epilepsy. My Mum said this lady had 2 children with her & as soon Mum mentioned I had epilepsy the lady grabbed hold of her children & stepped away. My Mum had also gotten upset & told the lady that epilepsy is not contagious.
I'm in my 30s now so this happened a while ago, but it is a pity that even now there are still people out there who have no understanding of epilepsy & assume having epilepsy means you only convulse on the ground or they can catch your epilepsy. :soap:

Last edited:
:woot: Good for you, Taylor's mom! You did the best thing any mom of a child with epilepsy could have done. Give info about epilepsy to other ignoramous mothers instead of slapping them like you (and me) really wanted to do. Unfortunately, there are still so many uninformed, ignorant people in this world when it comes to epilepsy, so it is up to us with knowledge and experience to educate others about it. People will remain stupid unless we tell them like it is.

I've had epilepsy for over 30 years and had CP's and TC's in public, so I've had to tell others of my condition. And I, too, have heard stupid remarks over the years...... people....... :ponder:

well done. I can't believe there are people out there who thinks its contagious!!!!!! I know I have been on a huge learning curve re what Epilepsy actually is while they are searching for a diagnosis for my little man but come on contagious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People a morons!!!!! And it makes me crazy. I really wanted to tell taylor to go lick her son or something just to be hateful. Prolly not the. Best lesson for my daughter though

people can be so ignorant. i was at disney with my familly and my dad pushed my wheelchair over to a spot where i could see. the woman in front of me moved over and i said thank you, thinking she was being nice. she then said "no problem, i don't want to lose me feet" she was atlking about the possibility of me bumping into her. she then says to her five year old, "lily, you don't want to stand near people like that," and she just glared at me.

i was stunned that in a time when political correctness is so important, she would just turn around and say something and act in such an outright inapropriate way.

i think you should do some powerpoint presentations at some PTA meetings or something. it might make things easier.

"go lick her son" LOL!!!!! OMG you're my hero!! HAHA!!! :D

I deliberately breathed very heavily (haaaaaaaaah) ;) on this fellow who was acting like a real arse about my seizures while he was over at my flat (he saw my TC Seizure First Aid poster and flipped the feck out) visiting some of the girks who were just chatting with us, saying things like, "I don't want to catch your seizures." "People with seizures are demon possessed." and "How do you have friends? Aren't people afraid of you?" (this a guy who is attempting a Uni degree lol! I'm 22!!).

(I'm pausing to remember your epic "go lick her son" retort. Giggling like a complete maniac over here! CLASSIC.) ;)

Anyway I saw him the next week and was furious. I was practically, okay no I WAS, yelling at him, "So, did you have any seizures, realize what a complete d-ck you were being, or still believe I laid "epileptic eggs" in your brain? Had to have been one of the three, right? Did you call for an exorcism? Did you tell people "that creepy epileptic girl gave you some of her demons"? People like you make me SO. SICK!!! How the f-ck did you actually score high enough to to get into this university?? Idiot..."

I found a few swear words to make it worth his while to have stopped by and then actually went into a TC (I'd felt my auras but figured I could say what I wanted to before I actually threw the seizure). I woke up after biting my cheek so hard there was blood all over my cute new dress :( and I stared up at him postictally and was like, "Not so funny now, is it you -ss!?!"

He was stunned. I am one of those sometimes-violent postictal sorts (lol) and I'm told I bolted up and backhanded him, started my 30 second sniffly reboot phase, took an Ativan, threw an old pill bottle at him (I think it had Midol in it lol!), at the behest of my roomies grudgingly apologised for "throwing sh-t at you, even if you f-cking deserved it you -ss!" (I swear A LOT postictally...A LOT.)

Long story short I should have just licked him!!! :D

People a morons!!!!! And it makes me crazy. I really wanted to tell taylor to go lick her son or something just to be hateful. Prolly not the. Best lesson for my daughter though

LMAO... that is priceless. :adore:

Wow! People are so.... The word I want is beyond me, but I too know about ignorant parents.

My son has autism. You've probably heard about it in recent years, like epilepsy it's not contagious. It is often a co-morbid disorder with e. In his first year at primary school he was on a mainstream class. There was one little girl in his class that went out of her way to be nice to him and seemed to genuinely like him. A rarity for my little man. One day I decided to suggest a play date to her mum. First I told her how much our children seem to get along. She told me she had told her daughter she has to be nice to him, completely blowing off the possibility of any genuine friendship. I suggest they catch up out of school hours. I was looked at like I suggested a trip to the moon for cheese. She tells me she couldn't handle him at her place on her own. Resisting the urge to roll my eyes I told her that I would never expect her too, that her daughter could come to my place or we could meet in a local park. Telling me she'd think about it she walked away. Her daughter was never quite as nice as she had been after that...

I saw a car magnet a few months ago that said

"My autistic kid can lick your honour student."

Reminded me of that : D

I'm still giggling- should things get worse, have Taylor go ahead ;)

Back
Top Bottom