Was it a simple partial seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Shelley3297

Reaction score
I had my first grand mal seizure on Nov 5th, but have had dizzy spells right around the same time each month for the last year or so. Although i started LEV 7 days ago, and have some lightheadedness with it, today i have had 2 extreme dizzy spells, both caused a blurring of my vision for a few seconds. I was however, cleaning some things near the floor level while standing, and stood up, then had the spell......so, is it possible that these were auras, or was it just that maybe i stood up too fast? My neurologist does think that my previous dizzy spells were auras, and there was the blurred vision with these spells, so i am not sure? i have documented them, and now on edge as i keep wondering if a seizure is coming.

Those "feelings" or dizzy spells could be simple partials. I'd complain of "weird feelings" in my head a lot since I was five, but nobody could diagnose them. It wasn't until I suddenly had 3 or 4 grand mal seizures when I was 14 that the doctors realized that those feelings were simple partials. One occurred during an EEG, enabling them to confirm it. About 23 years ago, I began having complex partials as well. I haven't had any grand mals since those, though. Despite taking medication, 400mg/day each of Topiramate & Zonisamide, I continue to have 1-3 breakthrough simple and/or complex partials per month.

Thanks, i do believe they were, as I am sure i had another one last night, a focal aware seizure. This one was a little less of the dizziness, but I suddenly got extremely hot, extremely scared, and i couldnt move or talk. It lasted a few minutes at the most, and i got a terrible headache afterwords, and was very tired. I emailed my doc about it, and i will probably see if i can go see him next week, just to talk it through. Those dizzy spells were exactly what i had the day i had my first grand mal, but i did not have one of those last night. I think the dizzy spells are my auras? I am on 1000mg/day of Keppra, but have only been on it for a week. I also have tracked my dizzy spells for several months, and they always fall during the same time of month. I have been researching quite a bit on catamenial epilepsy syndromes, and i really feel that is a possibility with what i am going through.

Hi Shelley,
A simple partial seizure is also known as an Aura seizure and when I have them I will see colors of the rainbow in a zig zag pattern
flash back and forth from one eye to the other and then I get a nervous feeling in my stomach like butterflies this only last for a few
seconds but often it leads into a complex partial seizure for me. There are times when I have felt dizzy also and that's all part of the
seizure. You are playing it smart keeping track of all of these seizures because it will help you and your Dr. see if there's a pattern
in your seizures. Mine always happen the 1st and 3rd week of each month if I'm going to have any.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Since you've recently started with a medication, it may be a matter of getting that amount built up to an appropriate "therapeutic level" in your system.

It could be some side effects, too. I've never had blurring of vision with the Keppra generic, but I have with Lamictal, but it was because my dose was too high. When my neurologist brought it down, the blurry vision went away.

Your doctors are probably still trying to figure out what dose and medication is going to work, which is sadly a time consuming process most times as not every medication works for everyone.

I get dizzy super easily - standing up too fast or spinning in circles is a big problem for me. I have had extreme dizziness and lightheadedness before a seizure, too - so it is super possible they could be auras.

Although, definitely continue journaling as you have been so you can mention this to your provider.

Try not to stress yourself too much, though. I know it's hard, but you're usually more likely to have a seizure if you are stressed. I remember in high schools during finals week was almost a guarantee to have seizures. Happened to me a few times and my mom ended up calling my teachers to let them know and make some type of arrangement for me. This often consisted of going in super early before school or stay later after, it wasn't fun. One teacher was super nice and since I did the entire final test practice packet, she considered it my final grade so I didn't have to worry about it.

Keep the stress down as much as possible. I've had a lot of luck with CBD oil (I like Lazarus Naturals, they also have a discount program. If someone has a SNAP card or so, they give a generous discount. I like Charlotte's Web, too, but they are quite expensive - but their stuff it top quality).

Do some deep breathing exercises, take a nap, or do something that lowers your stress such as art, writing, etc.

I hope that you'll see more improvements soon :3nod:

Back
Top Bottom