We have a second brain?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I came across a video on this science YouTube channel (~4 minutes long) that says our gut is our second brain and it explains how. It's a really interesting video and I know there has been a lot of talk about the gut and brain connection on here so I thought some of you may be interested in the video.
(Sorry, I know this isn't exactly e related; wasn't sure which forum this went in)

STE, I moved your thread to our "Gut-Brain Epilepsy Project" forum. Even though the video may not directly reference E, this is indeed a topic that a lot of folks are interested in. Scientific research is still on the threshold of exploring all the connections between our two brains, but I'm hopeful it leads to new and better treatments down the road.

Below are some links on this important topic including and older thread from CWE. Our 'gut brain' can be a factor in seizure disorders. There's a link on abdominal seizures and information on the role the vagus nerve may play in abdominal seizures.

When you come to it, the link to Dr. Michael Gershon's writing on it is a "must read." He was way ahead of the pack in his research and understanding of the enteric nervous system.

What Is The Enteric Brain - Somatosync
somatosync.com/what-is-the-enteric-brain
Dec 14, 2012 - The enteric nervous system and enteric brain which is also known as our second brain, helps in our healing and consciousness.
http://somatosync.com/what-is-the-enteric-brain

Seizures induced by eating - Epilepsy Forum
www.coping-with-epilepsy.com › ... › Peer Support › The Library
Oct 15, 2007 - 20 posts - ?1 author
Think "gut brain" as in enteric nervous system. These are links to good articles on abdominal seizures and on the enteric nervous system.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/seizures-induced-eating-1445/

Last edited:
Our 'gut brain' can be a factor in seizure disorders. There's a link on abdominal seizures and information on the role the vagus nerve may play in abdominal seizures.

The 'gut brain' plays a role in moods, too. So does the vagus nerve. That is why they're now using the VNS for depression. The vagus nerve is the 'wandering nerve' in the body, therefore it can cause things to go haywire in the abdomen.

Attachments

• 151341-154600.jpg
    151341-154600.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2
Second brain up the arse sounds about right.Certain treatments use human crap give it to serious bowel conditions getting good results

Here's a link to an article on the gut brain, and other disorders, including epilepsy and autism.

Psychoneurogastroenterology: The abdominal brain, the microbiome ...
www.currentpsychiatry.com/...brain.../c90acc21da39879fde487d7830ea...
Technically, it is known as the enteric nervous system, or ENS, but it has been ... disorders include abdominal epilepsy, abdominal migraine, and autism with ...
http://www.mdedge.com/currentpsychi...s/psychoneurogastroenterology-abdominal-brain
First link doesn't work. :(

Second brain up the arse sounds about right.Certain treatments use human crap give it to serious bowel conditions getting good results
That's interesting. I came across a recent development that there are "poop pills", which can be used for fecal transplants and some infections. However, MIT announced that the pills failed. All of this was last and this year if I am correct.

What exactly is bogus?

Bogus is about claims that may be unsubstantiated/ unvetted.
for eg.

Health professionals and scientists do have a core duty to base therapeutic decisions on evidence.

Its also up to individuals to advocate for their health choices and understand exactly what therapy may be beneficial to themselves or others they care for.

Back
Top Bottom