what do you call your doctor?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Doctor First name,
Doctor Last name,
or just the first name?

A few days ago I learned that another of my doctor's patients calls her by her first name. I was raised that doctors earned the respect of being called doctor, I never gave it much thought.

My former neurologist has a very long last name, so to make it easier for her patients she gives them the option of referring to her by a short nickname -- no "Dr." at all. (The nickname is actually a generic honorific in her native country, though most folks don't know that).

Called my son's neurologist (older distinguist man) professor + his last name but call his (young and female) peditritian by her first name as well as his (female) ketogenic dietitian.

Hmmm...I think I try to avoid that whole issue by not saying their name at all!
Just, hello! How are YOU? Oh, thank YOU so much.
But I guess I would (if I had to) say Dr. Last Name unless they requested otherwise.
I don't think of my Dr.s as friends no matter how much I like them.

My local neurologist I call Dr (surname).
With the neurologist I see at the epilepsy clinic I could never remember his surname at 1st so used to just refer to him as Dr (first name) lol. I still call him Dr (first name) when I'm talking about him to family or friends but when I mention him to my epilepsy nurse or neuropsych I say Dr (surname).
I call both my neuropsych & epilepsy nurse by their 1st names.

i think you should use dr...he worked bloody hard to be one,it respect.......i think respect needs be brought back for teachers dr's cops etc

I don't really think I call mine anything when I'm speaking to him (haven't needed to)... lol. But when I do refer to him or discuss him in conversations, I call him Dr.

Some are called Colonel, Major, or Captain, depending their rank . (I'm a military dependent)

Never have I called a doctor by their first name and I really dislike for them to call me by my first name. I have more respect for the ones who call me Mrs. Baum especially since I'm old enough to be their mother! There have been a few I just can't stand and/or do me no service. Usually what I call them can't be printed here! LOL
happy-making-faces-089.gif

Now I'm thinking about all the doctors I've been with. I remember that my first neurologist let me call him doctor first name because he diagnosed me with epilepsy and I was fourteen years old and had no idea what this diagnosis was. I think he gave me the option of calling him by his first name alone but it was my mom who insisted we use Doctor. All four of my doctors since then have been doctor last name, no matter why I was seeing them. As I said though, I never gave it much thought. It's habit. But 4 or 5 years ago I worked with 5 orthopedic doctors making sure they got paid and they all let everyone who worked in their office call them by their first name, except when we were seeing them in a medical appointment.

Last edited:
Im with LJ-Bain on this one,i dont really call them anything.I usually just ask them how they are,they reply and we get on with the medical problem.There are no formalities or anything.And to be quite honest it something ive never thought about,and now WILL due to this post!!!

With all my drs I call them Dr last name, unless they say other wise. The nurses usually have name tags and I'll call them by what ever that says or who they introduce themselves as to me.

I used to deal with a nurse practioner every other neuro visit who I called by her first name. I ended up blowing up on the woman because of the way she treated me. She would tell me what my problems were and wouldn't listen to what I would tell her that I was having problems with. Her last name rhymes with b**** off, so that's what we call her, not to her face though.

It depends on the doctor and what they want to be called. It's a source of pride to change from Mr. to Dr., and many doctors want to have their ego filled ;)

Back
Top Bottom