What is the weirdest feeling you've experienced while having a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Last week during my sleep deprived EEG there was a deep breathing section. After the deep breathing portion pretty much my whole chest felt warm. I've never had that happen even during cardio exercise when I have been breathing hard over an extended period. In some ways I'm hoping, not that I wanted a seizure, that it was something other than just the deep breathing. My EEGs seem to always come back normal. They normally seem to get you when no abnormal activity is ongoing.

I had a weird one yesterday like a combination between a Tonic- Clonic and an absence seizure. I was at the store with my sister. When we got back to my house she told me that I had started to fall but she had eased me down by the display case until I revived. I had only thought that I had a simple partial I had no memory of that happening.

I've had an experience a number of times that I think may be a seizure. It's very different then my typical seizures (complex partials and simple partials). I'll all of a sudden fall forward, but I catch myself. It hasn't happened in a while, but I wonder if it's a seizure and if so what type.

What an awesome topic!!! :) that was great read (hehe nice to know there are others out there)
Before I was diagnosed, and knew that it was epilepsy, I actually enjoyed it sometimes, funnily now that I think back, it was a great muse for when I used to write back in the day. It used to be that weird (possibly deja vu) feeling, where by EVERYTHING seemed to make perfect sense in the world with everyone and everything, and I remember just loving watching everything and everyone around me quietly soaking it all in(particularly handy if I was on public transport) hehe bad I know, but sheesh think of the fact that people pay money for illegal drugs to experience similar things :) basically it was like the feeling when youre watching a fantastic film and its that good that you actually acknowledge in your own mind "wow this is a REALLY great movie".
But in saying that, since finding out that all the feelings and smells etc are all part and parcel of this crud epilepsy, when its starts to happen and I notice the feeling and it clicks that "oh shite its the epilepsy again" it does a 180 and it feels like terror and falling, sort of like how you'd imagine being in a lift falling to your death.
Thanks again for the shares, I really enjoyed it :)

Epilepsy can HELP Some People, if they let it!!

Some of the people who have E feel good when they have a seizure! I have seen the percentage of illegal drug users be much lower among the people who have E than it is among the general population!
Having E can also do something for a person that is very positive, and that is make that person much stronger. There is something that a person w/E has to do to get that additional strength, and that is ACCEPT their having E as a fact. Refusing to accept having E can do something terrible, and that is, make that person much more susceptible to NOT being successful in dealing with their E! :twocents:
Of course this is MY opinion, NOT everyone's!

ACsHuman

Last edited:
I agree with ACsHuman. Having E can make a person stronger. Overcoming the challenges we face makes us stronger. Also, acceptance of having E is imperative for both our physical and mental health.

Thanks Acshuman and Music36 for that bit of food for thought- perfect timing too

The weirdest feeling has to be feeling "frozen". Right before I have a muscle jerk sometimes, I feel like someone pressed a pause button and I can't move or I'm moving in slow motion and then bam, I have a muscle jerk, and then everything returns back to normal.

Some of the people who have E feel good when they have a seizure! I have seen the percentage of illegal drug users be much lower among the people who have E than it is among the general population!
Having E can also do something for a person that is very positive, and that is make that person much stronger. There is something that a person w/E has to do to get that additional strength, and that is ACCEPT their having E as a fact. Refusing to accept having E can do something terrible, and that is, make that person much more susceptible to NOT being successful in dealing with their E! :twocents:
Of course this is MY opinion, NOT everyone's!

ACsHuman

I love this, it's nice to hear a positive about E. I'm still not fully accepting and it does affect me, well I accept it I just hate it all the time, I hope a day will come when I can live with it and just let it go over my head.

I've heard a lot of people get a feeling of euphoria when having a seizure, I wish this was the case for me, unfortunately I just get intense terror, a feeling like I'm gonna die. The fact I know what's coming probably makes it worse and ramps up the anxiety. I'll definitely try and remember this post more often though!

Acceptance

I love this, it's nice to hear a positive about E. I'm still not fully accepting and it does affect me, well I accept it I just hate it all the time, I hope a day will come when I can live with it and just let it go over my head.

I've heard a lot of people get a feeling of euphoria when having a seizure, I wish this was the case for me, unfortunately I just get intense terror, a feeling like I'm gonna die. The fact I know what's coming probably makes it worse and ramps up the anxiety. I'll definitely try and remember this post more often though!

That day will come, if you let it!
I know that accepting you have E as a fact can take time. This amount of time is something that will vary between people just like the variation of E that they may have. Each person is going to have a feeling of what seems like calmness come to their life when they accept their having E as a fact and refuse to let the fear of having a seizure bother them. Having a seizure is something that a person can't stop by themselves if at all with help(medication or other treatments) so they need to develop the ability to not let this fear control their life. Doing this will allow that person to live a life free of that fear or embarrassment! This also shows the strength that a person can develop using 'acceptance of their E' as a building block! :clap:

ACsHuman

Last edited:
Howll,

I experience the same thing. My aura is intense fear and that intense fear continues the whole time throughout a complex partial. The intense fear is actually physically painful for me and causes me to moan and groan b/c it's so intense and painful.

When I said that living with epilepsy can make us stronger, I meant that we don't let it stop us from living. I went through undergrad and grad school as a single-mother with epilepsy. I had lots of seizures and med side effects, but I did not let it stop me from earning a Master's degree. Of course, everyone's situation is different. But, we can overcome obstacles and persevere. Determination is what got me through it all. I've always been a fighter. Every time we overcome an obstacle it makes us stronger. I could have a seizure in the middle of taking an exam, but it didn't stop me from finishing that exam and getting an A. I got extra time when I took exams b/c of my epilepsy. I could have 20 complex partials in a day, but I did not let it stop me from getting my research paper done on time. Determination!

The strangest experience, I haven't had since elementary school. Time would speed up. Felt like someone pressed the fast-forward button.

I can't specify just one. Sometimes (most common feeling during a seizure) I feel like my left arm is falling off. Feeling like I am on the edge of the bed (left side) even if I am in the middle of the bed or on the right side f the bed. Once I experienced a loud explosion in my ear but my husband didn't hear anything. I was also driving someone place that I knew I had been 100's of times but it was like the first time I had ever seen the place. Also saw the top part of the dining room jump (this is the hardest t explain).

This is so interesting a question. Recently, I have had to take prednisone and have not been sleeping well. For 2 days at @ 11 am I get this strange feeling of deja vu, together with disorientation, fear. I immediately can't remember the day of the week and start crying. Luckily, I called a very close friend and she came right over to be with me. It passed within a few minutes but still frightens me.
I have stopped taking the prednisone. Otherwise, I am well-controlled on Keppra 1500 mgs. daily.
M

Usually during a simple partial I'll have tingling in my lips and/or fingers and might feel a little light headed and confused. I know to use my VNS magnet when these happen. Some are stronger and I don't actually realize that I'm having a seizure because everything around me is so real. Once all the furniture in the living room was in the wrong place and my aunt was in the kitchen making dinner and talking to me. I was trying to remember when we moved the furniture and wondering what my aunt was cooking then BAM here comes the complex partial and I don't remember anything after that.

I think I was a a complex partial, or very simple partial, because I can remember searching all over the house for my dad. My husband kept chasing me around trying to get me to sit down telling me my dad wasn't there but I insisted he was. I kept trying to go down the stairs into the basement and outside because I couldn't find him in the house. I did 'find' him in the living room after about 5 minutes of doing all this but of course he wasn't really there.

Back
Top Bottom