What is this?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

SISTER

New
Reaction score
First off... let me say that I know you all are not doctors. But, as any person with a disease, I imagine you know oodles about yours.

I have a friend who recently had a seizure in her sleep. Another person found her unresposive, with some vomit on her face, eyes open, gaging a bit. The seziure lasted at least 15 minutes... who knows how long before the friend found her.

She's had a CAT scan, MRI and an EEG. The EEG said seziure and then they did the MRI.

Apparently the MRI found "an abnormality" in her left frontal lobe, she thinks they said something about the size was bigger? Her doctor is very hard to understand, but they put her on meds and are going to do a repeat MRI in 4 months.

Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis? No name for what happened and only one seziure but meds to start and more monitoring? Does this sound like it could be epilepsy? She is 27 years old, has a history of emotional issues, she's a new mom as of 1 year ago, recent weight loss, LOTS of stress too right now.

Could the seziure just be a fluke?

OH, and her brother suffers from Cluster Headaches, not sure if it's related at all, but he did take the same med that I see here is used for treatment... not the one she is taking but still it is apparently used for seizure control... it's topomax.

I'm just here looking for advice from those who have experience. I really appreciate your help.

BTW, I did read Epilepsy 1o1, lots of great info there.

Welcome Sister!...

The seizure is probably not a fluke. The fact her brother has cluster headaches sounds like there's a genetic propensity for neurological abnormality.
Throw in the possibility that pregnancy...and the stress of it added to the likelihood of bringing a seizure to the surface in an otherwise seizure-free person..............I don't think it was a fluke.

Watch her closely. Document symptoms, drug side effects, etc. Try and keep the stress levels as low as possible....there many good methods for that (from simple 'me-time' to more classic yoga, exercise, music)

Good Luck!
:rock:

Hi Sister, welcome to the forum. :hello:

:agree: w/Speber.

MRIs are used to find abnormalities like scar tissue, tumors, cysts or malformations in the brain - any of which *could be* a focal point for seizures.

The EEG test would be the most telling. If it was showing clear epileptiform activity, then she likely is at risk of having repeat seizures.

Seizure conditions do have a high correlation with depression and emotional issues.

Hi Sister - Welcome.
How nice of you to be such a good friend. Having read the 101 thread you have a basic idea of what is going on. I would just add that you need to watch for side effects of the different drugs. My daughter is on her fourth and I think this one causes seizures. So I am taking it rather slow. In fact I personally am now wondering if others did the same. But they effect each and every person differently, so a journal is a very good way to keep track of events.

I also have had terrible migraines in the past, and a supplement of magnesium and COQ10 have been my lifesaver after 30 yrs. I agree there is a connection between certain types of migraines and seizures. My daughters focal point is the right frontal lobe. Hers tends to be a bit smaller with a heterotopia. However one neuro team didn't feel it was so abnormal enough to be a reason for epilepsy. Another points to this area as "the" reason for seizures. So as you see there are differing opinions which makes the journey all the more difficult.

I have just read a good book called Epilepsy: a new approach. I highly recommend it to anyone that has the connection with stress, emotional issues, nutritional needs, and is looking for an addition to the traditional prescription route.

Back
Top Bottom