What is wrong with my teeth, jaws, muscles

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

137Alice

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi, everybody. Does anyone ever had this problem? This happened 2 times. The first one was when I changed Keppra for Briviact. The very next day I woke with an extremely strange feeling - my teeth were chattering and I could not stop it. It was a bit scary, but after some time stopped. My neuro was extremely nice about it and said I could see her the same day. She said she never heard about such a thing, but in her opinion there was nothing to worry about.
During the day it never happened again, and i gradually forgot about it. This happened about a year and a half ago.
Today the same thing happened again. I wasn`t as frightened as the first time, but what i really didn`t like was that I felt rather tired after this strange "episode".
When i read my post it looks rather stupid, but perhaps somebody knows about this strange thing?
Thanks,
Alice

Hi 123Alice,

Sometimes the chattering of the teeth can come from a panic attack and anxiety but I have also read that once in awhile
this happens when there's a drug withdraw or a person is changing meds. I know there have been times when I'm starting
to go into a complex partial seizure and I have muscle spasms around my mouth and I can't control it this is all part of the seizure
and I'm still conscious during this but I can't speak. If you felt tired after the episode it could have been a nocturnal seizure
or a simple partial (Aura) seizure). I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Dear Sue, that is also my suspicion,especial since you mention loss of speech, which is one of my main problems. Today it happened a couple of times during the day, even though after my strange morning episode i took some Frisium and slept for an hour. My neuro suspects that this speech loss is a sort of non-developed seizure. Perhaps i will ask her for a sooner appointment.
Is there anything you do about speech loss?
Thanks a lot, you always answer to my strange questions
Alice

Hi 123Alice,

When I have the muscle spasms around my mouth and can't speak for a few seconds I just have to wait
out the seizure then everything is fine. One thing I learned yrs. ago is the moment I started to feel this
coming on was to tighten up all the muscles in my body and make my hands into tight fists for a few seconds
if I did it fast enough it would stop the seizure. My neuro I had back in the mid 1970's taught me this.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks a lot, dear Sue. My problem is that teeth and speech are 2 different things with me.
When i loose speech I first have something like a heart spasm, which could be extremely strong or quite weak. I am fully conscious, I just can`t speak. If i am lucky it happens just a couple of times and only for a few secs. But there are days when it repeats too often and i have to take some benzo and sleep.
Thanks for your advice, i will try your technique. It reminds me of Jacobson muscle relaxation, I tried it a long time ago but it was difficult to relax in a group of strangers, even though the voice of the trainer was calm and the light really relaxing.

Thanks again and take care
Alice

Back
Top Bottom