What kind of seizure is this and what to do??? HELP!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kmc3076

New
Reaction score
I was told that my 13 year old has physcogenic seizures. But yesterday she had a seizure and when she came out of the seizure, she could not see. I asked her was it blurry or dark. She said it was dark and then started getting blurry as her sight was coming back. She was like that for about 10 minutes. Is that normal, or could it be that she is having more than one type of seizure? I need help!!!!

I think the best thing to do it talk to a neuro or epileptologist. There is no real way to know whether the seizure is real or not except by detailed explaination or the event by the person and witness/family member or friend- and an EEG to see what's going on in the brain. Other tests like MRI or CT or fMRI etc can help to see if there are any problems with brain structure.
Since you are noticing visual problems with the event, abnormal activity might be coming from the back of the brain- but it should be checked out by a neuro.

I have complex partial and atonic seizures and sometimes after a complex partial seizure my vision does not work- BUT I am low-vision/functionally blind and don't use my vision much since its not very functional. Sometimes things seem way too bright or at least when I wake up I have a migraine thats connected to a seizure or epileptic celphalgia (post seizure migraine). That probably causes things to look too bright- I have to squint just to be comfortable and wear my tented lenses.

Definitly talk to an eye doctor too- there might be some blockage of the optic nerve or some other condition dealing with the eyes.

I hope things turn out well, take care
Crystal

Psychogenic can sometimes be a code word for "seizures that don't fit the normal profile" IMO. See here for more info:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/pnes.html

I agree with Crystal that you should consult with a neuro for further testing. Blindness during the post-ictal phase of a seizure strikes me as a potentially serious consequence.

Back
Top Bottom