What now?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey Everyone - I just needed to vent a little about the last couple of weeks. I was feeling so great on these meds (Keppra) and than BAM I get hit again. Each time this happens is worse than the one before. My anxiety level is high, the tremors in my hands are back, pins and needles in my legs and now some new interesting symptoms. I have had a few migraines in my life, and I always knew they were coming when my vision got a little hazy and then I would get a "sensation" in my neck. It has been a very long time since I had one. Yesterday, though, I started to get that familiar feeling and it creeped all the way down my spine and burned. This has NEVER happened and I was terrified. Has this happened to anyone? Could there be a link? I should also mention that when I was delivering both my kids (10 and 2) the epidoral did not work either time and the md said my spine was goofy.

At what point do I stop analyzing every symptom? My son now looks worried all the time, and it's literally killing me. I just cannot look forward to the holidays. I have stopped talking to friends and some family because I feel like all I do is complain. I'm sure they don't mind, but I do! I even asked my husband if he was falling out of love with me?

Everything feels completely out of my control, and I don't know how to deal with it all.

It definitely sounds like the meds are not working. If you are experiencing new or more frequent seizure activity (or side effects), you should talk to your doc about possible alternatives.

Have you had any tests do ensure that your medication blood levels are not toxic?

You should pick up the phone and
make an appointment with your Doctor
and go over everything!

If it gets worse; go to the ER (Emergency
Room) - they can handle you there, and
if necessary, can get you to the proper
level.

What are you doing to bring your anxiety down?
I do know the feeling you get in the back of your neck with a migraine. Always get that with mine too. I don't get a burning down my spine but I do get a burning in my shoulder muscles. Haven't been taking my magnesium lately (I can sure remember my daughters vitamins and minerals but mine.... go figure), so today I was hit with an attack... luckily it hasn't gone past the initial phase. I hope I have blocked it from going further... but the shoulders are screaming.

They do think that migraines and seizures have more in common than they every thought before.

What are you doing to bring your anxiety down?
I do know the feeling you get in the back of your neck with a migraine. Always get that with mine too. I don't get a burning down my spine but I do get a burning in my shoulder muscles. Haven't been taking my magnesium lately (I can sure remember my daughters vitamins and minerals but mine.... go figure), so today I was hit with an attack... luckily it hasn't gone past the initial phase. I hope I have blocked it from going further... but the shoulders are screaming.

They do think that migraines and seizures have more in common than they every thought before.

my family is going to be going to my sisters for a big Christmas party today!! Ive just started first week of my ms and haven't been feeling that great but im still going....the only thing that ive noticed causes me anxiety while taking keppra is loud noises like people talking loud and all at once... I told my sister that im worried because alot of people are going to be there and i have more seizures during my ms... lol she says dont worry lori I bought a chocolate fountain I guess it for pms :roflmao: I'm more worried about the noise getting to me.... anyways maybe ill pick up some ear plugs lol

andysgirl,

are you taking anything like vit b6 with each dose of keppra and getting enough sleep? my hormones around ms are really out of wack with keppra and the other aeds ive taken..also I take knolopin off and on for anxiety which helps but ive been trying not to take it all the time....

Last edited:
So did that fountain help?... sorry but it isn't on the nutritional "okay" list that I have.

I didnt eat any ..... I took pictures of the fountian it was pretty and a big hit with most everyone.... I just ate fruit mostly.... and a little ham ive not been that hungry lately...

Symptom Analysis

At what point do I stop analyzing every symptom? My son now looks worried all the time, and it's literally killing me. I just cannot look forward to the holidays. I have stopped talking to friends and some family because I feel like all I do is complain. I'm sure they don't mind, but I do! I even asked my husband if he was falling out of love with me?.

I've found that if I"m spending too much time analyzing my symptoms it's because the symptoms are usually disrupting my life as much or more than the seizures.

My suggestion would be to replace some of the negatives with positives. Give yourself a gift of a yoga class, or a spa treatment. Something that makes you feel good. Also, for me to be able to talk to Rebecca's therapist made all the difference in the world. She helped me to see what a challenging situation I was finding myself in, and that many of my complaints were quite normal.

Hey Everyone - I just needed to vent a little about the last couple of weeks. I was feeling so great on these meds (Keppra) and than BAM I get hit again. Each time this happens is worse than the one before. My anxiety level is high, the tremors in my hands are back, pins and needles in my legs and now some new interesting symptoms. I have had a few migraines in my life, and I always knew they were coming when my vision got a little hazy and then I would get a "sensation" in my neck. It has been a very long time since I had one. Yesterday, though, I started to get that familiar feeling and it creeped all the way down my spine and burned. This has NEVER happened and I was terrified. Has this happened to anyone? Could there be a link? I should also mention that when I was delivering both my kids (10 and 2) the epidoral did not work either time and the md said my spine was goofy.

At what point do I stop analyzing every symptom? My son now looks worried all the time, and it's literally killing me. I just cannot look forward to the holidays. I have stopped talking to friends and some family because I feel like all I do is complain. I'm sure they don't mind, but I do! I even asked my husband if he was falling out of love with me?

Everything feels completely out of my control, and I don't know how to deal with it all.

A side effect of keppra is lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis can cause anxiety symptoms and lower the seizure threshold. Do a google search on "keppra" "side effects" "lactic acidosis". Also do a google search on "lactic acidosis" "seizure threshold" and "lactic acidosis" "anxiety".

KEPPRA side effects and KEPPRA interactions, KEPPRA medical symptomsAfter drug was administered, patient experienced the following problems/side effects: convulsion, lactic acidosis. KEPPRA dosage: 1500 MG. ...
patientsville.com/medication/keppra8_side_effects.htm

You can also ask your pharmacist if the symptoms you are having may be lactic acidosis from the keppra, and if so, ask for information on how it is treated.. You can ask your doctor about it also. It may be difficult not to think you have a mental or attitude problem when you may be feeling and thinking as you are as a drug side effect. You can take all the symptoms you wrote out so clearly here to the pharmacist and\or doc and if you think it is drug related you can ask them how to best treat the problem. Do try and keep in mind that your "attitude", your anxiety and other concerns may be triggered by drugs and that may be why you are finding yourself stuck in complain and anxiety mode. Also keep in mind that if this is from the drug, you will see things differently when you are feeling better. I have usually found pharmacists to be very helpful in getting information on drugs and whether or not what you are describing may be a drug side effect. That information can then be taken directly to the doctor.

Back
Top Bottom